inquiring about fusion cuisine

Joined Oct 8, 2015
Dear chef-talk

I am writing to ask about something that inquired me before but haven't got an answer, I am thinking of doing a fusion cuisine with noodles, incorporate flavor pairing and culture integration by using other cuisines in noodles. I have thought of few ideas like turning a meal into a noodle dish this is done by flavor pairing and adding foreign things to the soup like let's say as dumplings or mousses . it sounds mediocre but this is something I really want to do perfectly .

the issue is fusion cuisine sounds vague and has no foundation or tradition. I am in need of help here on how to do this please help me perfect the concept/idea of how to do it like here are examples of how i take braised items use the braising liquid as the flavoring agent here this way i can incorporate braises, stews as noodle dish. or i was thinking i can go by each country and their common ingredients and turn that into a noodle dish. i can't get the hint of it on how to do fusion cuisine or even fusion noodles.

i want to ask how does it sound to you if you saw a noodle dish that had stew or braise or even sauces in it. i need advice here on the how-to for this and how are my ideas do they appeal to you or not.

Mal,
best wishes

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Look into Chinese diaspora cooking. As they moved about the world they substituted new local ingredients for old unavailable things.

Zhajiangmian in China moved around the country with lots of variations see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhajiangmian

When it jumped to Japan it shifted again and became jajamen.

And it jumped again to Jajangmyeon in Korea with still more changes.

Singapore has a lot of this already. I'll give you some book names when I can look them up in a bit

Stir Fryinging to the Sky's Edge by Grace Young is all about this.
The Hakka Cookbook by Linda Lau Anusasananan, the Hakka have been highly migratory

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Singapore cuisine is highly multicultural. most cookbooks on the topic recognize this and will mention the heritage influences

I'm not deep on Singapore cuisine but I've found two book series useful.

Singapore Heritage Cookbooks
  • Malay Heritage Cooking by Rita Zahara
  • Chinese Heritage Cooking by Christopher Tan
  • Peranakan Heritage Cooking by Philip Chia (Peranakan is first wave Chinese and so older fusion as it were--also called Nyonya cuisine}
  • Indian Heritage Cooking by Devagi Shanmugan
  • Eurasian Heritage Cooking by Quentin Pereira
You'll see dishes repeat in these books but with different twists as well as the cultures influence each other. These are pricey, buy used where you can.

Epigram Books published this next series. You can find these used or as ebooks.
  • Uncle Lau's Teochew Recipes by Tan Lee Lang. Teochew is another high dispersion Chinese group.
  • Irene's Peranakan Recipes
  • Uncle Anthony's Hokkien Recipes
  • Madam Choy's Cantonese Recipes
  • Robin's Eurasian Recipes
  • Madam Krishnan's South Indian Recipes
Fusion cooking has a lot to do with under standing a cuisine's history and flavors and seeing crossover points. Singapore is it's own thing now and so not fusion in the modern sense. But seeing how these influences adapted is very much fusion to me and the principles of adaptation are the core of fusion.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
One side of the fusion always has to take precedence over the other. It just seems to work out this way. There are fusion techniques though, and like phatch phatch says, Singapore and Malaysian cuisine is the ultimate marriage of Chinese with the local. Toss in some Dutch and Portuguese influence from long ago, so long that we can't really pinpoint, you have the ultimate in flavor. If you watch Food Ranger on youtube you'll see what he means, what I mean.

For example, the blending of wet paste, dry spice, fresh herbs. That's a combination of Indian and I would say Thai. Wet paste is Thai, dry spice is Indian, fresh herbs is also Indian as in adding whole curry leaf to the simmering phase of soups. The use of a wok is Chinese. But the low heat long cooking of Rendang is ultimately local. Indonesian? Who knows exactly.

I would just study the cooking of the region and if you can buy yourself a plane ticket to one of the most intense street food countries in the world.

Top Bottom