infusing liquors into hard candies

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by popcornmaker, Oct 20, 2017.

1. popcornmaker

popcornmaker

Exp:
    8 years bakery manager, 2 years popcorn owner, 15 years total food service
    So I've been having trouble making the champagne flavor stay in the hard candies that I make. I've done it two ways: replacing the water for champagne and/or adding champagne closer to when the base is done. Both ways it's seemed to cook off and the flavor is minimal and more sweet than I prefer. I was thinking of using a Chardonnay instead of champagne. Thoughts or ideas?

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Champagne is a tough flavor to nail.
    Have you thought to try any of the super concentrated flavorings?
    My go to is lorrannoils.com and have been super impressed by their quality and pricing.

mimi

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Also check out Bickford Flavors. Google them.

4. popcornmaker

popcornmaker

Exp:
    I use Lorann already but like you said champagne is tough to nail which is why I tried to do it with real champagne instead of the flavoring. So now I'm really stumped :(

5. popcornmaker

popcornmaker

Exp:
    I'll check them out. Thank you

6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    So how did the LorAnn not meet your expectations?
    I have never used it myself but have read posts on CakeCentral re it being the best thing since sliced bread.
    Just wondering if I should give it a whirl or not (and why not).... promised last November to do a NY eve event cake and will need to pull the trigger soon.
    Thx.

mimi

7. popcornmaker

popcornmaker

Exp:
    LorAnn is awesome don't get me wrong. The only one I don't like is the Sparkling Wine which is supposed to be Champagne flavor. For me it has an overly powerful sweet smell and taste too it. The kind of champagne flavor that I'm looking for has that sweet, dry, and tart flavor that the oil does not have. I'm mixing a few different ones together and almost have my recipe down. Otherwise all of the other flavors do rock and are at a nice price for us.

8. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you are planning on selling any candy with alcohol in it, please check your local and state regulations. Here in Wisconsin, it is illegal to sell any candy that has more than 0.5% alcohol in it. Even boiling booze will leave some residual alcohol so make sure that you check your local laws and make sure that your product abides by those laws. And yes, most of those laws make allowances for extracts (which are usually alcohol based) on the premise that those are food products and not alcohol products and thus are regulated differently. Yes, the laws can be confusing and sometimes somewhat arbitrary.

flipflopgirl likes this.