Infusing Caramels

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by rswanner, Aug 23, 2011.

1. rswanner

rswanner

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello! I'm looking to infuse some caramels I'm working on with alcohol and others with different fruit juices. Do I need to distill the alcohol down first or can I just pour it in and let the caramels get to the right temperature before removing them from the stove?

I tried it last night by adding 1/4 cup to a small caramel test batch (approx. 40 caramels) and it didn't have enough of the flavor so I was going to try 1/3 cup but I wasn't sure if it would still cook out too quickly. I also don't want the caramels to be super soft!

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Normally, you'd cook the caramel to around 115 C, and alcohol evaporates at, I think,around 74.C (absoluelty no idea of these temps in fahrenheit, besides, no one uses Fahrenheit anymore anyway).

Booze is out, try subbing part of the milk or cream-say maybe 1/3- with fruit juice/and/or fruit puree.  If using natural  vanilla, don't put it in at the begining, all flavour is pretty much destroyed when it hits 105-110 C-- or you can use artificial vanilla and the heat won't hurt it one bit.    

3. rswanner

rswanner

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Foodpump

But, I've seen bourbon caramels out there...so if alcohol is a no-go, how would someone make those?

4. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Well, you could treat it like vanilla essence writ large. Cook the mix a little higher then you normally would, and stir in the booze. Watch out for fire.

5. rswanner

rswanner

Exp:
    Home Cook
  6. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef