information on the use of Fruitrim ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rock, Nov 6, 2001.

1. rock

rock

Does anyone have information on the use of Fruitrim to extend shelf
    life in savoury dressings, sauces etc..
    The product is traditionally used extensively in baked/sweet products,
    but I believe it can also be incorporated into savoury items with good
    results?

Any info appreciated.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Why on earth do you want to extend the shelf life????

3. rock

rock

My business sells its dressings, pesto, tapenade, reductions etc to wholesale distributors who supply restaurants & delicatessen’s. In order to maintain a regular supply these distributors need to hold stock, hence the need to extend shelf life……

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Fruitrim is normally used as a fat replacer in baked goods such as muffins and cakes. Since it's basically sugar, it preserves by lowering water activity... not a preferred method in savory items! :)

Kuan

5. rock

rock

Thank you for your coments.
    I know of one producer who is injecting Fruitrim into bacon & cured pork loins.
    Some of our dressings have a high sugar content (chilli jam etc.) I was wondering had anyone used Fruitrim in a jam or curd with which I could compare quanties and adapt to a savoury application & if so to what benefit? (I’m referring to jams which haven’t been heat processed).

Rock.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You should be able to find information on aw using fruitrim from the manufacturers of the product. I was just at IFT Minn yesterday and didn't think to ask about it. What you're asking is a highly technical question more related to food science than general cooking. If you provide me with more information I might be able to steer you in the proper direction. It might not be cheap, but these people are the best in their fields.

Kuan

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Oops. I apologize for my attitudinal question. When I work in restaurants, I don't think about extending shelf life as a necessary thing to do. And when I worked for a food manufacturer, we sold all our stuff frozen. I just don't always remember that some foods need to be kept stable ... if I'd known originally why you asked, I wouldn't have been snippy. Sorry.

8. rock

rock

Thank you both for you comments, as you suggested Kuan the manufacture was obviously the best place to get the information I was looking for. A phone call to our supplier turned up more detailed product specifications than those originally supplied. Like a lot of “clean” food additives the full spectrum of use will only become apparent through time as the more innovative food producers and chefs experiment to exploit a products full potential.

9. di jo

di jo

Exp:
    Other
    hi, Rock,would you be kind and share with me the findings about Fruitrim application ,pls.Do you have got any results in your recipe in terms of shelf life extension?Regards,Dijo.