Influence of nutritional trends

Discussion in 'Open Forum With David Joachim' started by mezzaluna, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'd like to add my welcome, David!

Through the years, nutritional trends and fads have come and gone: low fat, low carb, good carb, high fiber, etc. How have those trends and fads influenced your work with substitutions? How do you decide which trends, if any, to address?

Thank you,
    Mezzaluna

2. david joachim

david joachim

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Most of the "healthy" substitutions I developed are based on reducing calories and increasing plant-food intake--but not eliminating animal foods...dairy, eggs, and meat have a firm place in a healthy diet. After writing about healthy cooking and various trends (including low-fat and low-carb cookbooks), those are the only two food modifications that I believe actually work to improve your health. I'm not convinced that food is the #1 predictor of how healthy you are or can be. Genetics, environmental conditions, and lifestyle habits have such a huge impact on your overall health profile. That's one of the reasons I've turned my food writing attention to topics beyond healthy cooking.

As for nutrition trends, they come and go. It's still a very young science and difficult to communicate effectively. Too often, advice becomes oversimplified to buzzwords like "low-fat," "low-carb," and "high-fiber." How about we start a new trend toward high-pleasure?

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    David,

Honest and accurate statement.

Also, I am surely on board with your last sentence.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Me too! If it's not worth eating, it doesn't matter how nutritious or beneficial the food is, at least to me and most people I know. If nutrition were the only criterion, I suppose we'd all be eating Soylent Green and this forum would be defunct. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.