Induction woks professional v commercial?

Joined Feb 26, 2017
Were Revamping our kitchen, gas is an option but it involves running pipe, new meter and its $17 a month to have gas service for just a stove. To compound that Ive been cooking with an induction range for about 5 years and I love it. The oven on broil hits 700 degrees on my steel plate allowing us to cook homade pizza in 2 to three minutes. The controls and settings on this stove are flawless so Im reluctant to replace this range with a gas unit, so Im thinking along the lines of an induction wok and something with some power.

I cook a lot of foods that would be greatly improved with a wok. Im serious enough about it to purchase a commercial unit in the 5000 or higher wattage, there price starts in the $1500 range to infinity, I dont mind wiring for the 220 supply needed either, but have found some mid level units that are in the 3500 watt range for under $500 but wonder if they can make the energy im looking for. Mind you im normally cooking for 4 people or less so Im not trying to feed an army very often.

Im also thinking it should be a stand alone or portable which is an option in either version, being able to put it away when its not in use might be a plus however I may find its in use a lot and may regret not going a drop in counter style when its done? Any input is great if you know brands or models it would be great. Thanks

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've thought about similar things and will likely do the same in my next kitchen remodel. My opinion:
  • get as much wattage as you can
  • install it in place. A portable unit will have an odd cooking height on the counter ornecessitate an specialized dropped part of the counter--which is essentially installing in place. 
  • ventilation--it needs a powerful hood to deal with the smoke and oil issues. Plus, this is part of installing it in place. Any portable unit will be poorly positioned for good ventilation
I use a flat bottom wok on a portable 1800 wok induction hob. I have a dedicated wok induction hob for round woks, same power. I use the flat bottom a lot more as that hob is always in the kitchen. Portable means extra hassle. And the ventilation issue raises its head often.  Also, what are the ventilation requirements of the unit itself. Most of the powerful ones have fans for cooling the electronics. So you need to design in ventilation for the unit itself when installed. 

A fully variable heat setting, not X predetermined  heats. But this isn't common yet. Most heat by set wattage and by a set temperature. The set temps can be nice for deep frying but they often miss the most used fry temps in these settings.  I'd look very closely at these settings and see how they match your real uses. 

I have no idea about branding. Ask hard questions about service. Who can service it, what parts are serviceable. What is the Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF). So much of this is not really serviceable and you have to replace expensive units because it's all one piece when just one part of that piece failed. Any replacement will still be modular but hopefully they designed the modules smartly for what things fail. 

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom