Induction question

Joined Mar 11, 2018
I'm opening a small commercial Kitchen, and I'm considering an all Induction Range. What are the pros and cons? How reliable, which brands, etc.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
There are general pros and cons that would apply. But, in order to make a list of pros and cons that suits your specific operation, which I think is what you are asking us for, we would need details in terms of what you will be cooking. I'm not suggesting that you post a copy of your menu, but, knowing what ingredients will be found most commonly on top of this stove would be helpful. :)

Joined Mar 11, 2018
Thank You for replying,
The menu consists of vegetable-based recipes cooked in med-large stock pots, and basic saute pans. Chilli, Stews, Vegan recipes etc.
What I've heard is Induction units used for commercial application are troublesome and need service often.

thanks
Steven

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Induction is definitely different. Its fast....very fast. So, there is no waiting for the pan to heat up or the water to boil. Consequently, there is no ambient heat above the burners that some cooks like to use from time to time. That also means less residual heat in the pan. This will take some getting used to. But, from what I am told, getting used to the differences in control and heat is not very difficult with practice and some patience.

Most pots and pans work on an induction stove, so that's not a problem. If a magnet will stick to it, it will work.

Induction is said to be cheaper because it cooks faster and there is less wasted heat. It also translates into a cooler kitchen, which could be a wonderful blessing.

The only real drawback I can see is that if the induction stove were to have an issue, its more likely for that issue to take the entire unit offline, which is never good for a commercial kitchen, especially during rush. But, in terms of overall reliability, its said that induction is more reliable than gas. That seems to be a very subjective statistic to me. I can't recall the last time I had an issue with a gas stove aside from a starter wearing out from time to time.

From what I have read, induction stoves seem to have become quite popular. Given their advantages in speed and their unmatched ability to maintain specific temperatures indefinitely (not to mention safety), I think an induction stove would be a good idea.

As for what brands, I can't answer that. I know that some gas stove manufacturers such as Viking have gotten into the induction market. Other than that......

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Joined Mar 1, 2017
I have a separate induction top at work which is useful for busy times. But, one thing you cannot do properly is saute, as soon as you lift the pan to toss it the heat is gone. It's not like working on gas, more like a solid top.
Indeed...that is one of the drawbacks of induction. Saute' is more like stir fry......

Joined Jun 25, 2017
We have 3 14" induction "burners" that we use for stocks, soups, starting braises, and things that needs slow or precise heat. They are made by Hestan, and I have not had any problem with them. Also many years ago at a contracted facility I worked at, they had an induction cook and hold system for their soups. Put the pot on, put cold soup in pot and it would heat to correct temp then hold right in the same pot.

Joined Aug 26, 2016
A pan holds heat the same no matter how it got hot. Take it off the hob and it cools just as fast no matter if it's induction, gas, or electric. If you saute with the pan still in the flame, that would make a difference. Otherwise, your pan of choice has a certain amount of heat retention. I have never noticed a difference. I use induction at home & hate the thoughts of going back.

Joined May 5, 2010
A pan holds heat the same no matter how it got hot. Take it off the hob and it cools just as fast no matter if it's induction, gas, or electric. If you saute with the pan still in the flame, that would make a difference. Otherwise, your pan of choice has a certain amount of heat retention. I have never noticed a difference. I use induction at home & hate the thoughts of going back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom