Individual mushrooms quiche

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ordo, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm liking individual presentations for tarts, pies and quiches. This is an individual quiche of portobello and fresh shitake mushrooms.

I'm drying the sliced or cubed mushrooms first on a medium hot pan to enhance the flavors.

Other ingredients: 1 tbs. minced pancetta lardellata, 1 clove of garlic, drops of Tabasco or some spicy oil, 1 small onion, 1 tee spoon of glace de viande, one egg, cream, grated parmesan.

This is meant to accompany tournedos in wine reduction. It also works great with eggplant and other vegetables.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's nice.

3. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks phatch. This one is an eggplant quiche yet unmolded i just backed. I need a set of shallower terracotta molds.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Ordo,

They are just lovely looking, perfect like that or with a salad and great for this time of year, or anytime.

Petals.

5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks Petals. The first one came out pretty cute now that i see the pick again. And yes: with a salad is a perfect match.

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ONO~licious lookin' Ordo!  Something I'll need to try, love them minis, an easy way to portion control.

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you K -lady.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Looks really cute, how do you make your crust?

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Nice Job

10. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello. Thanks KK and Chefedb. The crust is the "empanadas" crust, with flour, rendered beef fat, salt and water. I should be using "grasa de pella", with the fat (the best being that that surrounds the kidneys), melted in milk et all, but thats a hell of a work.

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was just thinking the same thing, love that crust...can we even get beef lard (fat) anymore in the US?  THAT  tastes the best! 

Wasn't that what Mc'd's used in the french fries that them taste go dang good?

(ordo, I like that k-lady! but DH still calls me 'girl')

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Go to a market ask them if you can have or buy any. Take home put in a heavy pan with water and simmer a long time then strain. Same thing with chicken fat  edb

13. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's right chefedb. Now, i can not understand you can't have beef fat in USA. Really?

Just in case, here' a classic grasa de pella recipe, "grasa" meaning fat, and "pella" meaning originally the pork fat, so it’s kind of a redundancy.

4-5 kgrs. of beef or pork fat. The best is considered to be the white fat that surrounds the kidneys.

1 l. milk

2 bay leaves

1 tabs. of salt

Preparation:

1. Cut the fat in small 1-1,5 cm. cubes.

2. Put the fat in a pot.

3. Add the milk and the bay leaves.

4. Simmer gently until the fat begins to absorb the milk.

5. When the fat is wholly rendered, you will see the "chicharrones" (cracklings) floating on top, which should never burn.

6. Sieve the grease. You can use the cracklings later for bread, snacks, etc.

7. Place the pot with the melted fat in another pot with flowing cold water. This is an important step to impede over cooking the fat.

8. Once tepid, save the fat in jars. Keep in a fresh and dark place.

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Never heard of that law or rule. If you go into some Spanish and Mexican markets here in Florida you can buy Lard. To this day and I have used everything you coulld imagine. It still makes the best pie and pastry type crust.