Individual fruit crumbles

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by calabonzo, May 1, 2012.

1. calabonzo

calabonzo

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi everyone, I am composing a trio of desserts and I want to do a fruit (probably rhubarb) crumble within a dessert ring, then unmould it onto the plate.

Can anyone advise the best way to do this? I have concerns that the fruit filling will seep out from underneath the ring and leave the pud quite dry.

Many thanks for any advice.

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Calabonzo,

Welcome to Cheftalk,

To help understand your ingredients would you be able to provide a recipe ?

One of the ways to prevent the liquid from seeping would be to add a thickening agent (tapioca) to your recipe that would absorb the fruit juices.

While there is no recipe provided , you may want to strain some of the juices from the rhubarb  before composing your dessert, making sure the liquid ratio is not over.

rhubarb and strawberries are a great pairing.

Petals.

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    At first blush, your proposed presentation seems inappropriate for a crumble. You'd have to stiffen the juices so much the dessert would be unpleasant. Do you really want a crumble filling that doesn't ooze? I don't.

Would you consider another dessert, say small galettes or tarts?

Or a different presentation? There are certainly a variety of attractive ramekins and/or gratins which can be mixed, matched and themselves presented in all sorts of attractive ways.

BDL

4. calabonzo

calabonzo

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thank you for that. I have had one in the past and it was beautiful. I wondered if there was a trick to the method. I have even wrapped the rings in foil then unmoulded onto the plate at the last minute but the juices still run and spoil the effect. I always add a little cornflour to thicken the juices up a bit, but as you say, it does dry it up a bit. Thanks for your interest.