Indian food and red wine

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by phoebe, Feb 16, 2006.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes, I know that wine, particularly red wine, doesn't seem like the best bet with Indian food, but our guests for our upcoming dinner (we're all cooking together) would like to at least try.
    My research tells me that the wine should be low tannins, 13% or lower alcohol, and fruit forward. I will be going to my wine shop to ask for help, but I wanted to know what you folks thought first and if anyone had any specific recommendations.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Emily,

A slightly chilled Beaujolais village would be acceptable as it it light in body, and has good forward fruit.

3. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you Brad! That sounds perfect.:smiles:

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    This is probably too late for your dinner party :eek: but for the next time: try a Blaufrankisch. It's an Austrian grape. We had it at Fatty Crab, a Malaysian-inspired (read: SPICY!!!) restaurant, and it worked really well with the food. We've since had it at home with other spicy food. Not at all expensive, either.

5. jolly roger

jolly roger Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gosh, I think I may be too late as well,but here goes...stay with apple and pear flavors found in whites as they will refresh and coat at the same time. Don't go sweet unless you are serving an after meal wine. But stay white, fruity, and no "wood" flavor. I don't know what spices are there so it's dificult to give a sure thing. Try making up some samples of your dinner and treat your local wine merchant in exchange for advice. That's what I usually do.

6. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    WOW, what a quandery, if pairing with things like a vindaloo, Ild think some thing along the lines of a lexia....sweet=heat, with anything tandori, Ild be thinking white as well, only a very few dishes I would think to pair with a red, but we live in a time where classical perception is out the window, drink what u want w/ what u want...
    I feel for the situation you are in...
    The Jains, own the hotel I work for, devout veggies, but still drink the most unusuall matches w/ some of the cuisine I provide them...they like thier Martinis,haha