Indestructible sandwich

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Apr 11, 2002.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Our tax dollars at work!

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    If a bullet won't kill you then sandwich will......totally gross, it has got to taste like sawdust....what kind of nutritional value would this gem have adn do you think our schools are the next in line for recieving extras.
    As an airforce brat and ex army wife, I've seen flight meals and MREs through the year....even dehydrated when backpacking (which aren't that bad if you've hiked alot)....I actually enjoyed afew of the treats...freeze dried strawberries. But this sandwich sounds right up there with some of the more disgusting meals.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe instead of these 3 mile island sandwiches, the military can figure out a way for all the unemployeed chefs and cooks in NYC to prepare fresh wholesome sandwiches to export to our military people on a daily basis.

Even ethnic stuff.. Hey, I can dream can't I?

5. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Do you pay taxes fo that???

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Alas, yes. The Armed Forces seem to keep getting bigger and bigger budgets, as other important needs get less. Even the budget for orchestras and bands in the military is bigger than the whole appropriation for the National Endowment for the Arts:mad: !!!!!

All sorts of things you'd never imagine are funded in the military budget. I'm not surprised that food is part of it, because after all it is SO important to the health and well-being of the troops. But to give you an idea of some of the weird stuff: 10 years ago, I worked on a project funded by the Army Research Institute. It was an industrial/organizational psychology field research project on "What leaders do to motivate teams conducting inter-dependent tasks." That kind of makes sense, right? Except that the field sites we studied were theaters and sailboat races. (That's where I got run over by a boat. But it's a long story ... )