In The Sweet Kitchen

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I just got my American Copy yesterday!! Nov 3 I'm cooking for a professional group who is having a reception for Regan Daley....what would you serve? Night time
probably mid twenties to thirty guests. Remember I'm a big seasonal local cook....so at least a couple should include apples, pumpkins, butternut squash, pecans, black walnuts etc...Don't worry about budget.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Black walnut financiers in spiced caramel

Pumpkin crabapple turnovers in a creme fraiche anglaise

Apple stew with candied sweet potatoes and toasted pecan twists

Butternut squash and pear brown betty

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Did you have time to look at the book? How original and elegant do you want the dessert to be?

Apple granité served in baked apple or a soufflé bake in an apple. Pear or apple individual size free form tarte or galette. Pear or apple charlotte individual or not. Apple spice cake. Cinnamon apple sour cream cake. Green apple and vanilla snow. Sweet lemon brown buttered apples.

Chocolate pear cake.

Chestnut cake or mont blanc or chestnut soufflé

Cranberry cake upside down or not.

Spice cake, gingerbread cake or nut & spice cake. Cinnamon and mascarpone ice cream. Burnt honey and star anise creams.

Pumpkin crème brûlée it’s been done I think. Mini cream puff with a pumpkin filling or pumpkin napoleon with filo instead of puff pastry. Pumpkin and ginger tart.

Plum tart. Cinnamon jelly with grilled plums. Vanilla plum tart. Steamed blood plum puddings.

pana cotta with poached pear in red wine and spices.

Joined Mar 17, 2001
Those all sound wonderful! My mouth is watering...isn't this the most fabulous time of year

Plum. :)

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Sorry, I need to give more info....at cookbook author receptions I cook food from their recent book. Soooo the food will come from "In the Sweet Kitchen"

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Here are a few seasonal suggestions from In The Sweet Kitchen:

Sweet potato layer cake with rum-plumped raisins and a caramel cream cheese frosting p.375
Caramelized parsnip layer cake p. 418
Fall charlotte with apples, quince and golden raisins p.420
Spice layer cake with maple meringue frosting p. 434
Sticky spiked double apple cake with a brown sugar brandy sauce p. 441
Pumpkin, sweet potato and coconut milk pie p. 474
Sweet potato cornbread pudding with maple custard p. 540
Gala apple fritters with a fresh cider syrup p. 570

I'll be curious to see your menu.

Joined May 11, 2001
I just made the Chocolate Chunk Cherry Toffee Cookies (something like that) this past weekend and they taste great but they flattened and spread everywhere. I don't often have problems with cookies. I'm wondering if it's the difference in the flour. I have the Canadian edition of In the Sweet Kitchen and I still don't know if there is actually a difference with the newly released American edition. On the other hand, they really do taste great and I got lots of requests to make more.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Unless you used southern flour I don’t think there is much difference between the flour produces in our mutual country. Don’t take my word on it Risa, go to page 98 where the author explains the difference between Canadian and American flour.

Top Bottom