In need of some advice

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Hornviper, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Hornviper

Hornviper

Exp:
    Moderate
    Hello everyone,
    I hope I am posting this thread in the right section. I have some culinary experience (about 18 months) but at the moment I only cook at home. At the moment I live in the countryside, so working in a decent restaurant/hotel/etc is not an option. I don't have a mentor either. The people here like most of the things I cook for them, or at least they say they do. I am 24 years old, don't have much experience, no Michelin stars whatsoever, and my confidence in the kitchen finally hit the floor. I am not going to give up but every time people say they like my food, the first thing that comes to mind is "What would a Michelin starred chef think of this meal?" I guess that's a totally wrong approach. I am more than willing to learn new things and improve my techniques. I thought you might be able to push me in the right direction. Perhaps there are books that I could learn a thing or two from. I am perfectly aware of the fact that I can't become great in the kitchen, I just want to learn as much as I can.

Thank you all in advance for your help and time.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  3. Hornviper

Hornviper

Exp:
    Moderate
    Thanks, phatch.

4. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Worry about what ordinary people think before considering a Michelin Chef's opinions.

5. Hornviper

Hornviper

Exp:
    Moderate
    I agree wholeheartedly, iceman. The problem is that most people are usually pretty polite most of the time. Even the ones we don't really know. Well, unless the dish's completely inedible. Essentials of cooking seems to be a good book, so I'll try to find it.

Thank you.

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Get married and have children. Then you will get honest and unabashed critical review of you cooking. :)

flipflopgirl and drirene like this.
  7. Hornviper

Hornviper

Exp:
    Moderate
    Sounds scary. :) I've had my share of girlfriends who can't cook at all. That leaves them with two options: my food or takeout, hehe. I'd go for the latter.

8. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If people come back to eat what you are cooking ... you know you're doing it right. If they don't come back ... you know you're not. Those are the ordinary people I'm talking about.

drirene, Hornviper and brianshaw like this.
  9. Hornviper

Hornviper

Exp:
    Moderate
    Yeah, I get it. I am not a great recipe follower and tend to do things differently (well not always) or substitute ingredients which I don't like. I know this is probably a bad thing. Especially when someone my age does it.

10. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If it tastes good its right.

drirene likes this.
  11. Hornviper

Hornviper

Exp:
    Moderate
    Amen to that, Chef. :)

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I tend to do that too, but only after I've learned the recipe the way it was written. Not following recipes just ensures you won't be able to work in a professional kitchen. Imagine defying a head chef and not following his recipe. But if you don't intend to ever work as a cook then you can do whatever you want.

13. Hornviper

Hornviper

Exp:
    Moderate
    I agree. However, we are talking about two different scenarios. In a professional kitchen I wouldn't have a choice, as you've pointed out. I meant random recipes I find online, in books, etc. Sometimes there are certain ingredients that I don't like. A friend of mine doesn't like potatoes, for example. :) Thank you for your post.

P.S. Oh, or I might not have all the ingredients because I am a lazy shopper.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    drirene and brianshaw like this.