In Maine for a Week over Christmas

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by devotay, Dec 9, 2005.

1. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'll be in Lincolnville, ME, for a week over Christmas. Who knows of a hidden gem in the area that I shouldn't miss?

One thing I already have planned is a visit (finally!) to the first restaurant of a protégé of mine (is it egotistical of me to call her that?) - It's called Green Monkey, and it's down in Portsmouth, NH. Very excited about that.:bounce:

But what else is there that I can't miss? The only other one I'm very familiar with is the stupendous Arrows of Ogunquit. There's more, yes?

2. magpie

magpie

Exp:
    At home cook
    Check out "Fore Street" in Portland.

3. capecodder

capecodder

Don't miss the blueberry pancakes at the Mariner in downtown Camden - just "down the block" ;-) from Lincolnville. If G/god wanted to make a blueberry pancake, H/h/S/se wouldn't bother, but would just go the Mairiner.

The restaurant is not much too look at and the food after breakfast is mediocre, but their blueberry pancakes are a major reason why I like mid-coast Maine.

Their large sweet rolls are great also, but I have never managed to have both at the same meal - just too much food. If I get lucky, I can talk my wife into not having the pancakes and cadge a chunk of sweet roll from her.

If this is an infrequent trip to Maine, do try to sample a crabmeat dish. For some reason Maine crabmeat is better than Marylands IMHO. Also, if you see Maine shrimp on a menu, do give them a try -- small but luscious.

No question that Maine has some high scale restaurants, but so does every place else. I think to get some great food, and different than the high end places, the secret to fine dining in Maine is to not look for fine dining.

Instead, go to the smaller places for great comfort food. Fish cakes and beans, plain; rib-sticking, unsouffled bread pudding; pies with just fruit in them and a good simple crust; milky and brothy clam chowder; simply wonderful crabmeat or Maine shrimp salad sandwiches. And it's cheap!

4. capecodder

capecodder