In a rut

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, May 9, 2011.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Every time lately that I cook a pork tenderloin, I make risotto to go alomg with it.

[​IMG]

Not great photo but I'm still figuring out the xoom's camera. Yes three would have looked better than two but I didn't want tnree. Long asparagus too, but it arrived just before service and it was a very fast prep.

Any other suggestions instead of risotto next time

2. benway

benway

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This was served in a restaurant?

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    no I did this at home

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What are the green bits?

Have you tried serving it with polenta?  I've also served tenderloin with leek mashed potatoes.

Or maybe you can try making a different risotto next time.  I have served this apple/walnut/gorgonzola risotto many times with pork tenderloin and it has always been received very well.  http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/risotto/apple-walnut-risotto-with-gorgonzola

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  5. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Most root vegetables, served as a mash, go good with pork loin. Rutabaga, parsnips, and celeraic work particularly well.

6. benway

benway

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Stuffing gives you a acceptable savory medium to pair fruit and nuts with your tenderloin while also counting as a starch.

7. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Absolutely KYH, I often make a mash of boiled potato+carrot+seasoning. Delicious!

You can do a lot of things with tenderloin. Just posted this one I made yesterday;  with a Cross & Blackwell sauce;

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/65657/pork-sauce-cross-blackwell#post_350290  

And another recent thread; with cauliflower puree and humble potatoes;

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/64876/pork-tenderloin-stuffed-or-not-i-love-it-how-about-you  

8. bodhran1965

bodhran1965

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As already suggested, pork tenderloin needs a bit of help. Stuffing it or slicing it then pounding with a meat hammer and marinating or dry rubbing can help before giving it a sear in hot oil. I would aim to serve it medium. Season the meat well with salt before searing but don't add salt to a marinade or dry rub.

Dry drizzling a flavoured oil over it. I serve it on occasion with a gingered yam mash and some wilted greens. A simple pan jus is all it needs for sauce.

Whatever you're cooking, keep it simple and focus on the flavour........remember that caramelization and reduction are key in sauce making.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  9. bishop

bishop

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If you are looking for sides to serve with the pork,

try red cabbage braised with apples and grated pasilla peppers

as suggested above taters do go well, how about a brussel sprout and mashed potato thing

roasted baby reds with lots of black pepper and rosemary

port and demi with a little shallot make a great sauce for tenderloin

sage also pairs really well with pork, how about gnocchi with brown butter and sage

sweet potato gnocchi would hit the spot as well

I was raised in the mid-west and so I have a big place in my heart for breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.

It is basically a thick slice of tenderloin pounded very thin, dipped in seasoned flour, eggwash, and then bread crumbs before frying.

10. brownedoff

brownedoff

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I recently made a nice pork tenderloin with red cabbage shredded & stir-fried with both roasted & fresh garlic and apple cider vinegar, water chestnuts sprinkled with a little orange zest and a juniper-redcurrant sauce.

Another option is make an orzotto with barley instead of a risotto, use a little thyme and maybe a touch of creme fraiche at the end and serve with a couple of roasted apple slices as well as whatever nice veg you have.

11. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    I like Bishop's ideas.

Just a thought - how about a ground black pepper and sea salt coating once the loin is oiled.....put the pepper and salt on some parchment/greaseproof paper then roll it in the seasoning.  I'd serve it after browning and roasting with a red wine and onion sauce (sorry to all who love fruit with meat, it just ain't me :)  )

Roasted veg as in parsnip, beetroot, sweet potato with rosemary and garlic would go well.

Let us know what you do!