Impact of colonialism on the Indian cuisine, assignment input

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Dear fellow chefs,

My name is Amrit, I am a final year Hotel Management student in The Netherlands.

The topic for my thesis is how did colonialism in India changed the Indian cuisine. For example the colonials introduced tomatoes and potatoes in India, which today are essential ingredients in Indian food. If anyone has further comments on the same, or something more to add to my study I would be very grateful if you comment.

Many thanks

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
As it's an assignment, one of the principles is to do your own work.

So do your own work.

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Part of my "work" is to conduct interviews with the concerned people and know their opinion and inputs. But thanks for your uplifting message!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
LOL... it might be just as interesting to investigate how British colonialism changed British food!

Joined Jan 12, 2021
As it's an assignment, one of the principles is to do your own work.

So do your own work.
Dear Phatch
I wanted to say that your reply indicates that you have made an assumption about me a therefore thought that I am some sort of person who is taking shortcuts and avoiding my work. I would like to tell you that part of my work is conducting interviews and writing to as many people as I can to gather data and information. It is honestly disheartening to read such a negative comment for someone asking for assistance from his peers. There is enough negativity in the world already, please do not add to it, if you cannot post something constructive keep your negativity to yourself. BE BETTER!!!!

Joined Jan 12, 2021
LOL... it might be just as interesting to investigate how British colonialism changed British food!
Yes Brian, it is interesting indeed. From the study I have done so far I observed that it was interactions between both cultures that shaped the cuisine for both nations as we know today.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It might help if your questions are more specific. So far they are really too generic to be able to offer help. Let me try to help... what region/cuisine of India are you interested in.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Dear Phatch
I wanted to say that your reply indicates that you have made an assumption about me a therefore thought that I am some sort of person who is taking shortcuts and avoiding my work. I would like to tell you that part of my work is conducting interviews and writing to as many people as I can to gather data and information. It is honestly disheartening to read such a negative comment for someone asking for assistance from his peers. There is enough negativity in the world already, please do not add to it, if you cannot post something constructive keep your negativity to yourself. BE BETTER!!!!
We get LOTS of students looking for shortcuts. Your initial post gave no context or indication your query was any different. Indeed, my assumption is the basis of schoolwork. That you're seeking interviews was not part of your initial query, just seeking answers.

It is better of me to require students to do their own work. If you have a more refined definition of work for your task, it is being better that you declare the meritorious context of your question as it is outside the realms most often seen in forums and the internet generally. My post was highly constructive as applying to education generally. And is the stance of this forum generally.

You should ask a better question as an interviewer.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Seems quite a generic subjec in the way you describe it.
Tomatoes, chili's , potatoes etc influenced cooking worldwide (Ireland, Italy, Thailand etc etc)
Maybe focus on a certain time frame?
Like influences from 1900 (arbitrary year) to independence?
Or 19th century?
Good luck anyway

Joined Dec 13, 2020
Hi Amrit, I knew you are now study in Netherland. But where are you from originally and what nationality?
I am Thai, and for me to understand my root are national library where there are all section as record of culture and journey of trades. Also, during my time we have to go through a test for History of Thai food, creator, ingredients, Nutrients, medicine in our food and so on. my advise take your time in reading the record. hope this might help.
What I do know is Indian food are involve changes during Spices-trade, and Spices war over few European countries through middle east sea and South East Asian Sea. Best of luck

Top Bottom