Immersion circulator/sous vide advice

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by themp, Sep 8, 2012.

1. themp

themp

Exp:
    Other
    Does anyone have any recommendations for an immersion circulator?  I am looking to purchase one as a wedding present for someone and I know absolutely nothing about immersion circulators, sous vide, or cooking for that matter.  I was looking at the polyscience models, there are three of them.  Any ideas on which one would be best?  The person that this would be for is not a professional chef is very into cooking.  He also likes gadgets and changing settings on things, making adjustments, etc...  Thanks so much!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. supercenterchef

supercenterchef

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I would say you've done most of the work already...sounds like you've picked out a brand (which, btw, I've read good reviews of) now all that remains is to look at your price range and your friend's needs...

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You may want to take a look at which is a sous vide appliance designed for home use rather than commercial.

Or even this one:

Remember, an essential component is a vacuum sealer, http://www.foodsaver.com/index.aspx or heavy duty zip lock style plastic bags.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  4. sciencechef

sciencechef

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've been thinking about this for myself. Ideally i would love a vacuum chamber sealer. My experience with residential sealers, is that they don't perform well, and they suck (pun intended) for sealing liquids like marinades. The chamber sealers have no problem with liquids, create a much better vacuum, and the plastic bags for them are alot cheaper. They are however a bit expensive, starting at 6-800.However they are useful for alot more than just sous vide.If your friend enjoys tinkering, you can purchase most of the parts to make a flexible immersion circulator for around $100.I.E. http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/diy-sous-vide-heating-immersion-circulator-for-about-75/. This is the route I want to go, as I can better adapt it for double use in yogurt/cheesemaking.

5. sciencechef

sciencechef

Exp:
    At home cook
    error

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012