I'm the new guy...

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by awake, Apr 7, 2006.

1. awake

awake

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    new guy here....stumbled on these forums looking for some like-minded people to learn from, and share some experiences i guess.

right now im in the rut of the chain restaurant game. i love my job, its good practice, and it will definately get me used to producing/prepping extremely large quantities of food in a short ammount of time. Im currently the Asst. Kitchen Manager at your friendly neighborhood Outback Steakhouse. Seems like we have a bad wrap around the industry, but most everything is made in-house, and from scratch. I mean, its not your 4-star cuisine around the corner, but we do ok ;)

Im also in culinary school full time. looking for a sous positon locally when im done. (unless the outback thing takes off from where i am now...100K a year as managing partner isnt too bad, haha) but my passion is on the culinary side, not so much the chain restaurant side.

hopefully ill be around enough to get to know some of you cats with similar interests. :beer:

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Awake, we have members here from all areas of the business (as well as us passionate amateurs). There are forums that center on the business end of things as well as the culinary areas. Our members are from all over the world!

Use the search feature to find older conversations on topics you're interested in. Sign up for the e-newsletter. Wander through the articles, reviews and recipes.

We hope you like it here! Welcome--

Mezzaluna

3. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey there, I'm a newb too, but have enjoyed the site, hope you do the same.

4. sj eske

sj eske

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have just joined the forum to assist my daughter in selecting a chefs school. We have been talking to our local school - Le Cordon Bleu in minneapolis, MN. We are wanting to know if anyone in this forum has had experience whith this institution and what the outcomes have been - from a "real" user, not just the ones that are in the schools publications.

Thank You
    sj eske

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello SJ Eske and welcome to Chef Talk. You'll want to scroll down the main page and click on the forum titled, "Culinary Schools / Culinary Students" for more information on that topic.

Your daughter may want to investigate a bit here, too. We have a good number of culinary students (as young as 14) and some instructors in our midst, too.

Good luck!
    Mezzaluna

6. plainjane

plainjane

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I actually just enrolled a kid that worked for me in Le Cordon Bleu in Austin. I scrutinized the program and went to every interview/tour. The program is very good....and VERY expensive. There are a lot of options, it really depends on what she is looking to get out of the program. As a professional chef/pastry chef gone consultant and teacher let me know if I can help.