I'm Not wrong...am I? Lets talk Duck !

Joined Mar 21, 2014
Im trying to remember back about a year ago in my meat fab class.  I understand Duck should be cooked to 165 however isnt the best flavor at 145 and still safe? I don't want to steer anybody wrong. 

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Breast - medium rare

Rest of bird - well done until tender.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
What is medium rare in dark meat? It's still pink at 160.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Seems low for poultry. The texture seems off to me at that temp. 

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I guess you don't like your duck breast medium rare then.

Personally I prefer it between rare and medium rare.... 130F after carryover cooking.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
My wife is the connoisseur of duck. My taste in duck runs more Asian which is a very different kind of thing. Both in selecting a duck and cooking it. 

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
This article first came up in a post from 2008 here in Cheftalk. It changed how I personally view duck as a cook, but I tend to cook it only once every 5 years or so. What clicked with me in this article is how the Asian chef tradition of good duck differs from what European is in good duck. So selecting a duck is important to how you want to cook that duck. And that wasn't really the point of the article. But it explained a lot of my personal experience with duck. 

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bringing-duck-home-A-guide-to-cooking-a-bird-2548996.php

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2014
Great find!  Anyway I'm thinking a tea brined duck, air dry in the fridge, 5 spice rub, then hang in the smoker at 350-375.  Score or don't score the breasts?

As for doneness,  yeah if I'm pan searing breasts, I aim mid rare.  Whole duck, I want it cooked all the way.  Not worried about drying out, plenty of fat.

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
What do you hope to achieve by scoring? I don't think you'll render appreciably more fat in that technique, but you'd let more smoke in. 

I'd score or not score by how you're going to serve it. If you're doing the skin and shreds in Peking Pancakes, I'd leave it intact without scoring, but prodably prick the skin with a fork or skewer holes. 

Joined May 7, 2012
What do you hope to achieve by scoring? I don't think you'll render appreciably more fat in that technique, but you'd let more smoke in. 

I'd score or not score by how you're going to serve it. If you're doing the skin and shreds in Peking Pancakes, I'd leave it intact without scoring, but prodably prick the skin with a fork or skewer holes. 

I score when searing because if I don't the skin will cause the beast to curl up as it shrinks.

Top Bottom