I'm not admitting anything.......

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I went to the library and got Ms Silverton's book, or as Jay Severin would call her, Mzzzzz Silverton, determined to find something in it that I liked. I had a freshly fed starter at work and was kind of bummed to read, 2-day bread, 3-day bread when all I had was today. So I made the Rosemary Olive Oil bread and cut out the retard. And you know what? I'd make it again. It came out very nice. The starter was actually fed Tuesday and held cold. I mixed a sponge for Reinhart's sourdough and it rose steadily, and I fed the starter and it rose, but the bread dough didn't do much till I put it in a warming cabinet. It fermented for 4 hours, then I shaped it, put it in baskets, proofed it for an hour and a half, and by 1:30, I had nice bread. Maybe I'll try another one tomorrow.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
It makes happy that you returned to the library. I think Mzzzzzzzzzz Silverton deserves a break.

The Rosemary Olive Oil Bread is definitely amongst my favs. I hope it won't disappoint you!

Happy reading,

;)

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Kyle,

Ernest looks great! You have inspired me, got me curious about levain & al. I'm seriously thinking of doing the Normandy starter to see up close what happends.

Thanks!
spin3.gif

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I can't possible buy all the cookbooks I want. Probably won't buy this one. Ever hear of Sara Paretsky? She writes the V.I. Warshawsky detective books. Her brother, a Dominican brother, and a blind guy rode out from Boston on a double bike in the rain to the retreat house where I was chef. I was excited to meet him and said as a public library trustee I had the director buy his sister's books so people could borrow them. He drew himself up and sort of sniffed, and said, "She would really prefer that you bought them." So, sorry, Nancy.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
It's fine.

I put the breaks on my urges too...WITH GREAT DIFFICULTY!!! hee-hee!

:D

Joined Feb 21, 2001
This bread, Craig Ponford's Beer Bread, is made with both an old dough, and a levain. It has amber ale for the liquid and roasted malted barley. Pretty good stuff, screams for sharp mustard, swiss cheese and ham.Take a peek...

Joined Mar 13, 2001
ooooooooo TBH!

That looks so appetizing!

I am screaming for sharp mustard, swiss cheese and ham!!

:p :p

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Questions for TBH:
  • Did you rise your breads in bannetons or did you just form tight boules?
  • And for the decoration, did you use a template to do your flour dusting?
:rolleyes:

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I lined some baskets with napkins and floured them. Then I dropped in the rather tightly shaped boules and put them in the fridge overnight. Next morning I let them rise, flip them out and peeled them onto the deck in the Blodgett oven after slashing them with a sharp serrated knife. They probably could have proofed a little longer, as you can see they started to rip. Took the pix with a digital camera one of waiters had. Gotta get me one of those. I also want a couple of those bannetons made out of a coiled willow reed or whatever it is. Love the way the bread looks.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Thanks TBH. The baskets are available at King Arthur. Maybe you know a closer source to you.

;)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
"...screams for ham." That had better be Black Forest Ham!

The beer used in the recipe: which kind and did it contain active yeast? Most commercially bottled beer contains yeast inhibitors that inactivate yeast.

Joined Feb 21, 2001
The first time I made it I used Pete's Wicked Ale, three bottles. This time I could only find one, so I used two O'Doul's and one wicked ale. You see, as far as beer and I go, I have to be home for Christmas, so I basically don't care what kind I use, as long as it was a little darker than, say, Bud Lite. This is a really tasty bread. I cut a hunk off to eat on the way home and the taste of the crust lingered for miles, even after the diet coke.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
The baskets at this site are $10 cheaper than King Arthur's (of course I bought mine from KA). They are both 7 1/2" baskets. I found some 10 1/2" baskets at Bridge Kitchenware. I don't think the smaller ones are any match for your beer bread :)

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

Latest posts

Top Bottom