I'm making a bean-based "chili", any suggestions or tips?

Joined Aug 21, 2004

OK I've been checking out epizote on ebay, and the price variations are enormous!  From an astronomical $50+ an ounce to $5.  Any suggestions what to buy and/or how much to spend?
Are you interested in epazote for the flavor or the carminative effect?

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Flavor, which I understand can be odd mixture running from a pungent fennel, oregano, anise  even to sage.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
The flavor can be a bit hard to describe. (*disclaimer:*) I like it, but would warn people to consider the source of this opinion, when considering whether or not to personally check epazote out :~)

I usually wind up any attempts at describing the flavor of epazote with "...with hints of kerosene"

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The flavor can be a bit hard to describe. (*disclaimer:*) I like it, but would warn people to consider the source of this opinion, when considering whether or not to personally check epazote out :~)

I usually wind up any attempts at describing the flavor of epazote with "...with hints of kerosene"

Yeah, flowers with petroleum.

Joined Jan 25, 2013

Doesn't make me want to try it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif
if you ever eat at a Mexican restaurant, you have probably had it.  I buy mine fresh at a Hispanic supermarket, usually $2 to $3 a bunch.  the first time you use it, try about 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh, let simmer a bit then taste.  if you crush fresh leaves in your fingers, the aroma does have 'diesel' in the backround. 

Joined Sep 5, 2008

if you ever eat at a Mexican restaurant, you have probably had it.  I buy mine fresh at a Hispanic supermarket, usually $2 to $3 a bunch.  the first time you use it, try about 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh, let simmer a bit then taste.  if you crush fresh leaves in your fingers, the aroma does have 'diesel' in the backround. 
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

Joined Aug 21, 2004

In the silly mind of this chef, descriptions like " hints of kerosene ", " flowers with petroleum ", and " diesel in the background " are intriguing; not off putting... hmm, ...kerosene... yeah, yeah,...okay, I got it....I wouldn't necessarily recommend this mind to anyone else, but it's the only one I got.

Joined Jun 27, 2012

I can't describe it but I like it and can tell when it is missing.

Hard to find fresh around here.

Sometimes the corn truck guy can be talked out of a half grab...always "no charge lady"...

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

mimi

Top Bottom