I'm making a bean-based "chili", any suggestions or tips?

Joined Jun 27, 2012

After about 10 minutes I grab the stems and whatever is still clinging to them then toss into the garbage.
Thanks for that new tip. So is that the last 10 minutes of cooking your chili? After you remove the cilantro stems, the chili is done? 

I usually use the cilantro stems for anything that's going to simmer (for example tajines or indian curries) while the leaves I fold in raw at the very end. I think my instinct would lead me to do this the other way around: put the cilantro stems in, leaving the leaves outside, so that the stems infuse and the leaves don't cook too much. Oh well - something to experiment with!
Let's say the beans are done (we like them squishyish) and five minutes into the dipping of the herb I turn off the heat?

Long enuf to flavor the dish but short enuf that you cannot tell what the little green pieces are.

Parsley of course lol.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

mimi

Joined Jan 25, 2013
If you have all day, I would make a Mexican version of "Naples Red Lead".

In a large pot( at least 6 quart), slowly brown 3 pounds of pork neck bones.  when all are browned, add 8 to 10 finely chopped garlic cloves and a finely chopped large onion.  when onion has softened, add 3 quarts crushed or diced tomatoes, 1 Tbsp each cumin, mexican oregano, and salt.  1 tsp each crushed red pepper and finely chopped epazote, 2 ancho peppers softened in 1 cup stock.   slow simmer for 5 to 6 hours.  Cool, remove neck bones, clean, return meat to the pot.  Heat to low simmer.  if desired, add beans.  adjust seasoning and heat level, thicken if desired.

Joined Sep 5, 2008

Long enuf to flavor the dish but short enuf that you cannot tell what the little green pieces are.
Ok so I suppose the 5mn of cooking(/heating) the cilantro leaves are enough to make them more palatable for cilantro-haters. 

BTW that's not always true what they say about cilantro-hating being a genetic disposition. I used to hate it. Tasted like soap to me. Anytime I would see cilantro leaves on a dish I would be one of those guys who takes 10 minutes to remove them one by one until the dish was "edible" to me. Fast Forward a few years later and I love cilantro. I can eat it raw in salads, as a garnish, entire leaves, I can even stuff multiple entire stems+leaves into a taco or a sandwich like a bahn me for example. I really do enjoy it now. 

Joined Aug 4, 2000

My meat grinder has two plates.  I am thinking of using the one with bigger holes because I want the meat to be distinct and not too crumbly like a meat sauce  Hmm?  Not sure what the non circle one is for at all

Check out the Chop Rite website, manufacturers of American-made manual grinders:
http://www.chop-rite.com/

Also checkout the Allied Kenco website for grinding supplies:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/22.aspx

Joined Jun 27, 2012

Ok so I suppose the 5mn of cooking(/heating) the cilantro leaves are enough to make them more palatable for cilantro-haters. 

BTW that's not always true what they say about cilantro-hating being a genetic disposition. I used to hate it. Tasted like soap to me. Anytime I would see cilantro leaves on a dish I would be one of those guys who takes 10 minutes to remove them one by one until the dish was "edible" to me. Fast Forward a few years later and I love cilantro. I can eat it raw in salads, as a garnish, entire leaves, I can even stuff multiple entire stems+leaves into a taco or a sandwich like a bahn me for example. I really do enjoy it now. 
My first time with cilantro was with a cold salsa (not cooked) and it tasted like soap to me as well.

I caught my brother's SIL doing the cilantro thing... she makes the best beans in the family.

Now mine are second best /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

mimi

Joined Nov 15, 2012

My first time with cilantro was with a cold salsa (not cooked) and it tasted like soap to me as well.

I caught my brother's SIL doing the cilantro thing... she makes the best beans in the family.

Now mine are second best /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

mimi
Soap to me also, until quite recently, now I use it practically daily, mostly in salad.  I think I heard that about 10-15% of population find it tasting like soap, and how unfortunate as it is wonderful once the soap taste disappears from you pallate.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I had never tasted cilantro until I was about 20, first time it was like soap to me also. Took a few years to turn around, first accept it in cooked foods, then eat raw on tacos, etc.

Joined May 27, 2013

Checkout the links that I posted.
I have a manual grinder with various grinder plates. You clamp it to a table. It belonged to my mother, but my father was the one who was sweating and working like a mule. But then again, it's about 50 years old. 

I wanted to join the 21st century. At least for this, since I don't have the pasta attachment. I do that manually. 

Joined Nov 15, 2012
OK I've been checking out epizote on ebay, and the price variations are enormous!  From an astronomical $50+ an ounce to $5.  Any suggestions what to buy and/or how much to spend?

Top Bottom