I'm glad to announce that...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pongi, Oct 11, 2002.

1. pongi

pongi

"My" apple has been published! :bounce:

Maybe someone of you can remember that some time ago, in a thread about Quinces, I talked about a new type of "quince", previously unknown, discovered by some experts in the orchard of my mountain holiday home. The fruit, which actually is an apple (sharing many features with quinces) came from a single, ancient tree, probably due to a mutation. Since it seems to have outstanding features both for flavour/taste and for resistence to parasites (to tell the truth, we had never realized it before...but "nemo propheta in patria" ;) ) they expanded the tree and have grown a whole cultivation (strictly organic). They're planning to use the apples exclusively to produce and commercialize a new apple pie, made following an ancient local recipe.

The new is that the association that cares about "my" apple, which aim is the recovery of ancient fruits (they're a sort of "fruit archaeologists") has published a series of books about this topic, and my apple is the star of the book about apples. They dedicated to it a whole chapter, also explaining the history of my family and of our house, and put a very nice picture of the apple on the cover (unfortunately I can't scan the picture and post it here...). Apart from this, those books are very interesting and informative, and it's a pity they're available only in Italian;)

In any case, the name of my apple is BELFIORE DI RONZONE (from the name of the village where we have our home) and you can trace it also online as there are some links...unfortunately, only in Italian, since it's not worldwide famous yet :D

Sorry for having bored you about that...but I'm

"The Proud Mommy of Belfiore di Ronzone"
    aka
    Pongi :)

2. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Dear Pongi

of course we remember the story! I had the opportunity to re-read this nice post of your while I was searching the thread about quinces!
    We are very glad to share your joy :)

Let's drink to that!

So, any special recipes with ancient quinces?

3. kimmie

kimmie

Congratulations, Pongi.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "Belfiore Di Ronzone"

Even a name for an apple sounds sexy in Italian!!!

What great news.............!

Congrats :bounce: :bounce:

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Congratulations on your "new" arrival! What an intriguing story. I've heard a lot about heirloom tomatoes and such here, but your pome could be.... how old?

6. pongi

pongi

:lol:
    Mezz, if you're speaking of those ancient sun-dried tomatoes, my apple is definitely younger since we know it's just 78 years old. In fact, both the house and the orchard were built in 1924. As far as we know, the trees were purchased in the city of Trento and came from a nursery that doesn't exist anymore, so we cannot ascertain which type of apple it was supposed to be.

As for the "special" recipes, they're coming...I must ask my mommy :)

Thanks everybody!

Pongi

7. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That is waaaay cool! Will your friends here on ChefTalk be able to have some of the lovely specimens shipped to us?!???

8. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Pongi

How your tree is doing this year? :)

9. pongi

pongi

Hi Vivian!

Thanks for asking! Unfortunately, no Belfiores for me this year as I've been in Ronzone in July. The tree was fine, but of course the apples were still too green :( . We share the house with our cousins, and since this year it was their turn to go there in August/September I'm sure they have had a good harvest.
    I must wait the next year...or ask for the descendants' apples (they have about 1000 new trees at present)
    As for the book, during the last Christmas period I was highly surprised to find my Belfiore showing up in many bookshops even in Genoa. I realized that actually that book is just the kind of nicely looking, useless thing that people buy as a Christmas gift for someone else when having no better ideas :D

Pongi

10. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    You have to post the recipe you use for apple pies made exclusively with your Belfiori apples :)

I have a friend who is having almost a whole apple pie a day lately and he wishes to enrich his repertoire. BTW as a doctor can you explain why he is doing that? :p

Anyway,I think that he'd love a recipe for an apple pie a la Italienne... ;)

11. pongi

pongi

It's likely that your friend misinterpreted the italian proverb "Una mela al giorno toglie il medico di torno" ;)

To tell the truth, I generally use Belfiore for apfelstrudel (I like it more than apple pie) while in my family our apple has always been used to make a delicious jelly with a recipe by my grandmother. I'll dig out this recipe and post it!

Pongi