I'm fired...I think?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by ouiouichef, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ouiouichef

ouiouichef

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I'm a culinary student, almost finished and I've been working at an upscale fine dining restaurant a few days a week to get experience and learn as much as i can. I've been off the roster for 2 weeks, now what? I mean I don't mind about being unofficially fired but I'm not sure how to go about retrieving a few things I left behind from my kit and I still have their locker key. 

I've texted my head chef to double check if I'm rostered for the week and he just replied that I wasn't. I'm thinking that I'll just ask if it's ok for me to come in early one morning to grab a few things I left behind then I'll also drop off the locker key, keep it vague...

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Did you give them a reason to fire you?  Personally, I'd want to know why I was taken off of the schedule.  I'm not saying that you need to tell use the reason, but if you know the reason then you should say that  you are aware of why you have been fired, because that makes a difference, at least to me, in how I would handle the situation.  Either way, you have a right to any of your belongings that were left behind.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Before quitting, try this line: "Will I be on the roster next week?" or "Is there a reason why I haven't been on the roster for a couple of weeks?"

Clearing out your stuff and returning the key because you are assuming that you were fired is called "quitting". Don't assume... they owe you either an explanation or clear direction.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    addytheace likes this.
  4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Text #2......Hi Chef, I was going to go food shopping today but didn't have any money because I didn't work the last to weeks. Do you think I'll be on the schedule this week so I could maybe plan on eating again in the near future. If I'm not on the schedule could I come and pick up a few of my items in my locker and return the locker key ??????

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I hate this. The cowards way to fire someone or let someone go. AKA we don't want to pay unemployment so are trying to force you to quit. 

You should be able to file for unemployment anyways, if you need some help bridging the gap between jobs. A reduction in hours is a perfectly fine reason to need unemployment. It might also force your employer to make your status official. 

You should look for better work, any company that would treat employees like that (with no explanation, etc) doesn't deserve your hard work. 

Good luck. 

6. ouiouichef

ouiouichef

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    @pete - No, not really. I told them I couldn't come in one day and gave months notice because I know any time off is frowned upon. I was prepared to quit on the spot if they said I couldn't have the day off. Previously another employee wanted time off because his sibling from overseas was coming to town they said no cause it was a busy period and he quit.

@brian shaw - True, I've called the Chef and left a message. I'll text later and from there I can naturally segue into resturant breakup mode and mention swapping belongings.

@someday - what's unemployment? Like a redundancy payout? This is why I was prepared to quit if they didn't give m the day off...it's unfortunately just how they roll. Good to know it's not the norm though!

7. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hang on a sec, there oui oui,  You gave a month's notice?

Notice of what?  

That you wanted to resign?  Or did I mis-read and it was a month's notice for that one particular day off?  If this is the case, contact the Chef, ask him/her if " is there is anything I should know?" regarding the weekly schedule.  If the answer is negative, ask " When do you anticipate me coming back to work?"

Someday:

I understand where you are coming from, but-tum, uhh... I ask for your empathy on the employer--not sympathy, but empathy.

In my neck of the woods (B.C., Canada) there is a 3 mth "probation period" where either party can terminate without any notice.  After this 3 mth period, however, a 2 week notice is required.  Every now and then as an employer you get a "diaper".  These are employees who work well for the first 3 mths, and then, as if by magic, after the probation period, behave completely different--I'm sure you can use your imagination: Outright refusal to do work that they did just the other day, smoke breaks every half hour, etc. etc..

So, yes, as an employer you can fire their azzes and pay the two weeks, and yes,  you will get hauled over the fire for higher labour cost.  But the one tactic you do have is to cut back on hours until the diaper just doesn't show up anymore.  There might be the arguement that this a "coward's move", and I might counter-argue that the magic transformation of the worker into a diaper after the 3 mth period is "sleazy".  Not saying one label or situation is better or worse than the other.  But in the end, the employer has got to run a profitable kitchen and look after his/her other employees that don't play games and get actual work done. 

8. ouiouichef

ouiouichef

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    @foodpump - Oh, sorry wasn't super clear - I asked for 1 day off months in advance to give them time to cover me just because I know they frown upon days off. Then I asked the chef if I was rostered after not being rostered for 1 week just incase I missed anything and the response was just 'No not this week'. I called this week hoping to have a quick conversation about what's going on with the schedule but I got voicemail (understandably, cause chefs gonna chef) and left a message. Good tip on the questions I should ask though, I'll follow up with your suggestions. I just want to know what's going on so I can get my stuff and move on without randomly getting called into work (unlikely, but it could happen if they're down a few chefs). 

I get what you mean, it's more difficult if you're obligated to pay people and they aren't upto scratch, especially during a notice period. With my employer's track record they just randomly fire batches of people when the head chef gets the bad mood. They have high turnover and I considered myself really lucky to have been there for the length of time I have. I worked hard, came early, had no breaks and stayed late. Regardless I think I was a bit over the petty macho bullying that pervaded in senior management so when it seemed like my shifts dried up I was quick to assume that they got sick of me too. 

Thanks for all the advice guys! This is one of my first chef jobs, so I still have a lot to learn and it's more of a fine dining place so the standards were high and more than ever money and wastage mattered (it's a fairly new venue).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
  9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It might help if you mentioned the country in which you are working. Employment law and benefits differs. In the US unemployment insurance is a government welfare benefit for people without a job when that job loss was not through their own fault. (Although most of us probably know people fired for cause yet still seem to draw that insurance.). Canada sounds like they have a completely different scheme for protecting workers. Other countries probably different too...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. addytheace

addytheace

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    The Best way is to Man up and ask the chef head on.. i mean what can he do fire you ?? it seems you are already not wanted anymore

11. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was just about to say something similar.  While it might be uncomfortable, I think I would go in and ask the chef, in person, what is going on.  You have to get your stuff anyway, if you are fired and this way he can't continue to avoid returning your call.

12. ouiouichef

ouiouichef

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I would just go in, but I've heard the owner/head chef complain in past over ambiguously fired people turning up. That's why I feel like I need to give some kind of notice purely out of respect, but if I get no reply I will just show up. Thanks guys!

13. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I wouldn't worry about it.  He can complain all he wants. If this is the way he goes about firing people it's his own fault that people show up wondering what it going on.  Besides, what's the worse that can happen, he says to your face that you are fired?  Then you ask for what, for requesting a day off?  Either way he ends up looking like the idiot, not you.  The only way you come out of this looking somewhat bad is if you requested a day off, he denied it, and then you didn't show up on that day.  But, if  what you say is true, and you strictly got your hours cut for requesting one day off, then you really should go back, in person, get your stuff, and let him know that you know what a crappy move that is.

millionsknives likes this.
  14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    But remember.. your not fired yet. Your trying to find out if your fired or not.

15. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    I personally don't see how walking in and grabbing your own stuff can be logically interpreted as a resignation.

They aren't scheduling you. Therefore not paying you. Stands to reason that in the meantime you need to eat,

so would find at least temporary work elsewhere. And you need your stuff.

It would also allow you to get a feel for the attitudes.

"I left a few things in my locker."

"Are you quitting?"

"No, I'm getting some things I need from my locker."

I wouldn't  give the key back unless they ask for it.

If they do ask for it, it opens the door for you to ask why they want it back.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  16. ouiouichef

ouiouichef

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Yeah, true. I've got a few trials lined up so I'll see how they go. If anything it seems like they're giving a new person my shifts to trial them but keeping me on the back-burner incase.
    Good point, that's why I thought going in to grab my stuff might open more of a two way dialogue and allow me to gauge the situation more clearly. 

Thank you for the advice, sometimes you just need a sanity check haha.