I'm bang on with sauces

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by headless chicken, Feb 11, 2005.

1. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    So as some of you know, I've been having doubts about going into the cooking field. Lately, what I produce has been either a hit or a miss but usually serviceable. But I've noticed my chef has always been impressed with my sauces. Yesterday, we made sweetbreads and chicken quenelles in a mushroom cream sauce...bang on according to chef. As was the sauce for my seafood cioppino, steamed mussels, hollandaise sauce...I can go on.

So my latest enlightenment has struck my curiosity about the position of saucier (forgot if thats how it was spelled). I'm pretty sure with a huge establishment like hotel or resorts, they would have a small team dedacated to making sauces where as a small or even trendy restaurant would have you multitask with other duties. I'm hoping for people's insight on this position. What should I expect if I was to take this job. Thx all!

2. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    youre putting the cart before the horse. You must master the basics first. No, i can't recall of a single place employing a saucier only. Chef or Sous usually will take care of that. Not to burst your bubble.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I was saucier. Serious, the position was basically lead restaurant cook, or uhm, like "executive chef" in a small restaurant. (there we go again, what is a chef?) Decide specials, do the prep list, do the sauces and garnishes for the day, inventory the line every night. Only difference between being the head cook in a restaurant in a 3 restaurant hotel and a chef at a single restaurant is you don't work 70 hours, 45-50 maybe during the busy season. So it's pretty nice. You get to do chef stuff without too much hassle.

4. pastachef

pastachef

Sauces is my favorite part of my job. I tried to go to the web address that you supplied, but it was a bad address. Please see if you typed it correctly. It sounded interesting:)

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Some hotels and higher volume restaurants still have a saucier on hand, though usually he/she does more than that. Besides making all sauces, stocks and soups, this person is usually the supervisor for the prep team, making sure prep sheets are filled out properly, pars are followed or altered (due to business volume), and makes sure the work gets done. I have often seen it used as sort of a Jr. Sous Chef position.