I'm a 35 year old anthropology student. I like reading and cooking... what should I do

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chalkdust, Apr 17, 2019.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    In a sec I will post my favorite cook books. I'm good at research, very good infact, but want to work with my body and hands. I'm not born to be an academic but love knowledge.

I can cook senegalese, chinese, japanese, trinidadian, rep of georgia, Swiss nut and seed cakes, Austrian pastries, nigerian, somalian, Indonesian food.

In the end I'm freaking out. Not only am I 35, but my anthropology grades are bad, I havnt been with a woman in 11 years.

I was first an art student, then I became schizophrenic, then I switched to anthropology, was fascinated, purchased 500 anthropology, German philosophy, African and caribbean lit books. I absolutely dream of Caribbean and African women and secret occult societies. Mods can move this to right forum, I'm pretty lost and need help.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You sound like a former acquaintance of mine, except she was into mathematics, statistics to be exact, instead of cooking. How can we help you?

3. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Just trying to figure out how to earn enough money and satisfy my passions, and hopefully attract women. My entire life of contingency over capitalist necessity culminates in this moment. I own reams of fascinating anthro books, Jungian books like Edward eddinger, marie Louise von franz, Paul bishop , Murray stein, lots of African or Caribbean novels and plays, lots of German and Greek philosophy books as well as philosophy and literary criticism.

I spent my twenties devoted to west African and caribbean hand and stick drumming, I failed anthro school but will graduate soon, I worked in several restaraunts.

I thought I could be an ethnomusicologist and make music with Haitians and trinidadians, get initiated into their magic, etc.

I live now, unemployed, get disability check... on meds, doing better.

Still I worry too much. My parents help me too, I feel like an abominable man child, kings puer aeternus

I don't really know how I can be helped

The way I see it I attempt to get into gradschool for folklore studies master, followed by PhD in theoretical anthropology

That would give me knowledge, I would still want to cook.

Or, I'm not sure. I've asked you guys for advice many times.

Severe heartbreak makes me question myself as a male too.

4. wannaeat

wannaeat

Exp:
    At home cook
    Dude just relax and be more of a man, women are not attracted to whiners. Your life is been tough like lots of people out there but, does not mean is the end of the world, MAN UP! and you will see how women start looking at you differently.

5. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thanks, I know, I'm actually quite confident with women in real life, still the 11 years thing is fun to write about as a novice tragocomedy. Lol.

I want to cook tons of different foods from around the globe, yes even france Italy Greece Portugal Spain Germany prague Budapest vienna

And then the rest esp Senegal Nigeria Mexico South america Korea China Japan and Indonesia Somalia Ghana and everywhere not to mention mid east

Is it feasible to have a custom restaraunt or catering service that is this extremely versatile? I could sell specialty ingredients and books too

I hate the idea of being an academic, but the mode of anthro I am engaged in is grassroots, community centeted, uncovering real economic and political and historical issues... And it could truly help people...
    So for global public good, anthro work is vital, I just don't think I'd be very good at it, I mean really I know almost all the good anthro analysis books.

And like I become obsessed with weird French or Senegalese things, pork belly shrimp and Chinese wine meatballs, cashews with a Senegalese spice rub, Swiss pear or orange or poppyseed cakes that are moist and dense and made with hazelnut flour, hibiscus custard tarts, duck cooked in wine and brandy or tomato paste and cabernet

Someone has to cook this and I suppose I could write a blog on my thoughts as I do the knowledge on my own time
    But anthro is more noble, the scope is global, the aim is the foundation of a global 4th world, protection of local cultures, excavation of a new history to situate those that seek this history firmly into a de indoctrination process, and a helpful mobilization

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Two suggestions:
    1. Never stop taking your medication
    2. Focus your interests and goals to something you can actually pull off. Edit, edit, edit. Expand and/or complicate things later in a cautious manner.

Mischief and chalkdust like this.
  7. Mischief

Mischief

Exp:
    Executive Chef
    Dude, you're all over the place just in trying to figure out what you want in life. You'll have to organize that brain of yours before you would ever be able to run a restaurant that serves all those cuisines. Even then, that would be a very difficult concept to pull off. Focus on what really makes you happy, then turn that end goal into a series of smaller, more easily accomplished goals so that you can see tangible results for your efforts.

8. linecookliz

linecookliz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Become a Yelp food blogger and start seeing a counselor. Sorry you're having a hard time in life. A professional kitchen isn't the solution as it tends to create more stress. Maybe you need to think about switching majors and as far as the woman thing is concerned... sign up for a dating app? Good luck, hun.

9. patblue

patblue

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Couldn't agree more - more often than not I've seen ppl with depression for example enter the kitchen, trying to find an escape, and only ending up deeper in their depression....just saying

Reading what you wrote above, I agree with all the comments about you needing to figure out what it is you actually want.
    Earning money and attracting women - fair enough, good goals I guess - but what are you truly passionate about?
    What makes you wake up in the morning with a smile on your face?

While cooking can be (and I believe for most ppl on here is) quite meditative, calming and to an extend, relaxing - working in a restaurant is anything but....

Just a thought (I am in no way an academic - not at all) - but maybe start a blog focusing on the cuisine of these cultures, dig a bit deeper and write about ancient ways of preparing said dishes - take from your wealth of knowledge on this topic to further enhance the readers understanding about these dishes (i.e. many Asian national dishes can be traced back to a time of hardship in which ppl came together to celebrate - that is something I'd definitely would read more about)...
    Again - not an academic - just looking at combining a few of the things you wrote about above...

linecookliz likes this.
  10. NnamAries

NnamAries

Exp:

Hi Chalk, from your post I can deduce you love cooking and would love to do more with it, a good idea which might come to put you on a steady path. You can, with all the culinary knowledge you've got under your belt, go into a venture that offers a variety of meals, which in my opinion would be a catch. Also, have you considered therapy?