If you went to Cuba would you eat at the commercial restaurants or private in home restaurants?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abefroman, Dec 18, 2014.

1. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If you went to Cuba would you eat at the commercial restaurants or private in home restaurants?  Or would you go to an all inclusive resort?

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Hello Abe, we went  this year for two weeks and just rested. Unlike all our other trips there, the only thing I wanted to do was sleep, suntan, and lay by the beach, so we chose Holguin, an all inclusive resort. There are 5-6 large restaurants that you can book at besides the buffet. I ended up eating by the beach most of the time for the seafood. They have a French restaurant, Italian, etc. The resort is quite big and the entertainment at night is good. They have a swim up bar, 24 hr bar. I would go down at 4:30- 5:00 am (the internal clock doesn't shut off) have a few great coffee's, talk to the Chefs and then walk down to the beach and watch the sun come up.

I go to Cuba for the beach, not the food.. Havana is full of tourists, plenty to see and do, if you are looking for more of a quieter time with more ocean , I would suggest Santa Maria.

We were a group of eight.

Here are some random pics I took.

They roasted a pig every other day. 

There is sailing, deep sea fishing, day at another island with dolphins etc....

This is where I planted my feet and just relaxed

The old world Cuba is still very much that, old world , nice to see. You can take a trip in a taxi and go to the markets and a bus or taxi would bring you back.

I would eat at this restaurant alot , and listen to the waves. 

Food was good

The head Chef at the resort, Manuel.

My lovely niece posing for me. 

I would walk the beach every night

And every morning, you thank God you're alive.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    abefroman likes this.
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Paladares all the way.

4. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Great pics Petals!! 

5. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I went to pre-Castro Havana four or five times- it was the greatest liberty port I ever hit. You could get into more trouble, for less money, that any other place I ever visited.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

If it's still going, go to Sloppy Joe's  bar and grill,  and order their signature sandwich (not a Cubano which has become popular at Cuban-themed restaurants here) but the Especial  which was a two-inch pile of cured meats, cold cuts, and cheeses on the wonderful Cuban rye bread. Don't neglect the One-Eyed Indian, either.  

Ernest Hemingway, who lived in Havana for quite a few years, said the Cuban beers were among the world's best, since they were made by expat Germans who immigrated there many many years ago. When people saw a drunk, they said "he's seen too much of the One-Eyed Indian."  A profile of a feathered Indian head was the prominent picture on the label of the wonderful Hatuey  beer. I hope they're still making it.

I always wondered how many stray cats went into those cold cuts.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Mike  

on edit-

Googled it-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/13/the-original-sloppy-joe-r_n_3076553.html

It's been re-opened, though pretty clearly a tourist trap.  Well, it was a tourist trap back then, too.  Hemingway didn't hang out there, though- he held court every day at left end of bar in the Floridita  restaurant.  I hoisted a daquiri with him there one time: he welcomed admirers to come and buy him a drink and schmooze for a few minutes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  6. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We went to Cuba six years ago. My husband LOVED it, I got Delhi belly and spent four days of our fourteen day holiday in the hotel bedroom, visited by a doctor every day. :D

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Petals: just saw your picks. Great picks indeed!

I guess things are going to change in Cuba after last days news.

8. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       Hi Petals, wonderful post and pics...looks nice, real nice!  

Mike...thanks for sharing your memories...sounds like it would have been a great time!

Having very little knowledge of modern day Cuba, I'm not really sure how much it will change (would like to get others opinions on this).  The way people describe it, it's already got its tourist traps.  I suppose, in my ideal world, keep the tourist traps few and concentrate the vacationers here...then keep the rest of Cuba for the people.  Those, tourist, who want to venture out, like our family normally does, will find something more to their liking.

To answer the question...my family would find the home restaurant spots to eat at, no doubt!

Dan

petalsandcoco likes this.