[BRAYZ] A cooking method by which food (usually meat or
vegetables) is first browned in fat, then cooked, tightly covered,
in a small amount of liquid at low heat for a lengthy period of
time. The long, slow cooking develops flavor and tenderizes foods
by gently breaking down their fibers. Braising can be done on top
of the range or in the oven. A tight-fitting lid is very important to
prevent the liquid from evaporating.

My question:

Is the following also braising or called something else?

Quick searing at high heat then placing the pan and meat uncovered in an oven until the desired internal temp is reached.

What are the rules for poundage of meat? Guidelines?

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I assume braising involves liquid and aromatic vegetables, etc. The second description sounds more like pan roasting to me, as it doesn't mention liquid.

Joined Jul 18, 2000
i do believe that would be called: poele or poelage.

Generally this is roasting in a covered pot, on top of a trivet of vegetables - also you must remember that specific meats require specific cookery methods i.e. in beef the locomotion muscles are the toughest and therefore require longer cooking times to breakdown the elastins and collagen that make those cuts of meat tough.

[This message has been edited by Nick.Shu (edited 12-01-2000).]

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I've never heard them called locomotion muscles....really nice term....potroasts are braised and I leave um in the oven for 3-31/2 hours...usually they run 5# or so.
2 is a economical way to cook....use one for dinner and one for shepards pie etc..

Joined Dec 8, 1999
A poele is basically a piece of meat basted with melted butter as it roasts. The type of cooking Cchiu describes I would describe as just roasting as it is usually done for smaller pieces of meat. When roasting smaller pieces, they are browned first in a pan to give them the color they would not get due to their short cooking time in the oven ( ex. a prime rib is not seared first, as it will be in the oven long enough to brown; a roasted beef tenderloin is browned first because it will only take 30-45 min. to cook: not long enough to brown in the oven.

Joined Jul 18, 2000
soz guys (especially CC), i just reread the post and i see what you guys mean.

ive always been taught that muscles used in the movement of the animal in question in a general sense tend to be quite tough - a good but extreme example is the legs of a pheasant, very sinewy and not very useful to "use as is".

Top Bottom