Ideas to use leftover braised lamb shanks and leg?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Jul 13, 2012.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have some leftover braised lamb shanks and leg of lamb, wondering if you have any idea on what kind of dish I could make with them? Shepherd's pie comes to mind... but what else? 

Thanks!

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Chili.

BDL

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Lamb chili! I would have never thought of that! I'll google for recipes - let me know if you have a favorite (or some summary instructions)? The only chili I've learned how to make is your chile verde. ;) 

4. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Shepherds pie or lamb stew would be my top picks if I didn't just heat it with the left over sauce and serve it with mashed potatos. If you don't have any gravy left then maybe some fresh hash.

Dave

5. spikedog

spikedog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    saute some onions and maybe some mushrooms and serve it over egg noddles,and top it off with a little polenes

6. spikedog

spikedog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    you treat it like you would any pulled pork recipe.

7. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hash!  I love hash.  Oh Rapture!

Cook your hash until it's almost done, use a spatula to push it together into patties of a size you can handle, then drizzle a little heavy cream through them.  When the cream cooks on the griddle it turns into a lacy, wonderful crust.  Pour a little more cream on top,  turn and get that cream crust on both sides.   

And a barely cooked poached egg.  DuckFat is a genius.

BDL

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  8. cacioepepe

cacioepepe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hash is a great idea.  I've had duck confit hash with yogurt and an egg.  I bet it would work with lamb...I mean, lamb and yogurt, pretty traditional.

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hash is a new concept for me. Believe it or not I'd never heard of it before. I'll look around. I have a potato, some onions, some tomatoes, some green peppers.... so it sounds like it could be an easy solution. 

Thanks guys!!

10. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    FWIW, my vote is a curried lamb & veg stew over jasmine rice and then what’s the name of that drink, lassi, that’s it!  A fresh fruit lassi for dessert, oh my, my stomach just gave out a huge growl…

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Haha... sounds very good kaneohegirlinaz (I can never remember how to type that name /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif), but we've had Thai food at the beginning of the week, and Indian food 2 nights in a row, feeling like something a bit different tonight. Fruit lassi, especially mango, on the other hand, sounds very very good right now (very hot and humid right now in L.A.). No time to go to the store though, so a cold beer will do just fine. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

12. modchef

modchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Fun topic.  How about a grilled eggplant roulade stuffed with the lamb and some good feta, a nice ragu with the tomatoes and onions, and some grilled potato? 

Or a hash...that one's tough to beat!

13. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    K~girl works … /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

It seems that Hash is the consensus ??  

14. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    No tomatoes in hash, nor anything else which will turn to mush while cooking.  You want the hash components (or les componentes de hashe as the French say) still moist, but want want crispy GBD on the edges. 

Par cook the potatoes.  For lamb, I might go with celery instead of peppers or use both or neither.  My first thought is celery tops, chopped fine.  Cut your aromatics and herbs fine.  But you want enough size on the potatoes and aromatics so they have some texture, and enough size on the herbs so they're visible as more than specks.  At least that's my aesthetic.

Don't use too much heat, or too little.  It's a combination "brown" and "heat," not a sear or gentle rewarming.     

BDL

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Gotcha. Makes total sense once you've said it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  16. patrickvee

patrickvee

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Lamb Burritos or Spring Rolls

17. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Thank you for the compliment Sir. One day we will have to meet and do some cooking and sharpening!

Dave

18. keiraneylene

keiraneylene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Lamb stew!

19. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hash sounds wonderful - maybe use celery root and parsnip instead of the potatoes.  Whatever you decide don't forget to make some lentil soup with the bones.  Greek style with broth that seems thinner than water.  OK I just made myself hungry.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  20. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I've been thinking about Lamb Curry every since K-girl mentioned it. Bought a leg-o-lamb today for just that purpose!

Dave