Ideas in Food

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by thetincook, Jun 20, 2011.

1. thetincook

I just picked up Ideas in Food by Kamozawa and Talbot for kindle and gave it a quick glance.

So far, I'm a little dissapointed. I was expecting more molecular gastronomy and innovative cooking technique. So far its seems pretty traditional, with only a single chapter on what I would call molecular gastronomy stuff.

I only know of the authors and their works from their epynomious blog, which is amazing. I'm guessing they had to scale it down for the publisher.

I bought the book because it seemed like the affordable option at 12.99 to getting into molecular cuisine. The other one in its class, Modernist Cuisine, is around us$500.

All and all, if you were thinking about getting into molecular gastronomy, I think a better place to start would be getting the Kymos site's guide to hydro collios, which are easily like half of molecular gastronomy tricks. It's free too.

I'm probably being a little harsh on Ideas in Food. I'll post again once I've had a chance to go over it more and use it.
  2. brownedoff

The khymos blog is excellent, yes.