ideas, ideas, ideas...looking for ideas

Joined Mar 6, 2001
With a new job comes different events. I'm stuck on a couple assignments and would love any input to get me thinking, please?

1. First project: A dessert for a candle lite night in December. The club turns off all the lights in the house and uses only candles. I could use a small voltive on my dessert plate, but I don't want to do a flaming dessert (that's just too risky). It's for 300 people dining in couples, so it could be a two person sized dessert. I can buy in any components (like from chocolates ala carte), but over all it has to be sort of simple. I'd like to do souffles but I'm not sure they have the waitstaff to serve this promptly enough.

2. Second project: Centerpeices for 20+ tables. The catch is it's the day after Thanksgiving and I have to provide 4 desserts for carry out for Thanksgiving day to the whole membership, which could be very demanding. Then were off on Thanksgiving day, so I have to limit my day before work! Then the day after they also want a sweet table (x-mas trees decorating event) for 300 to 400 with the centerpiece desserts. The owner asked me if I could do cookie trees (something simiple) HA, but if you've ever done these you know it's NOT SIMPLE. It takes ALOT of hand frosted cookies to make these and the frosting part won't fit into my work time frame. So far the best I can think of is mini Croucumbouches (need spell check) using mousse inside that could be frozen ahead of time and chocolate to bind them together. If I could think of a cool twist to decorate them, this might pass. Any thoughts?????

That's all for the moment......any imput is very welcome!?

Joined Nov 27, 2001
Some centerpiece ideas for you for the day after thanksgiving and for your sweet table:

If you can still go with an autumn theme for the day after thanksgiving- little cakes baked in bundlette pans and covered with marzipan or poured fondant with a marzipan stem to look like pumkins and arranged with fresh fruit on a platter or a pedestal stand. If they want to move past pumkins you could put the fruit on the pedestal with various miniatures on a platter below.

Truffle "croquembouches"- truffles stuck on a styrofoam cone to resemble the real thing.

Or the same idea only in a topiary.

Cookie ornaments on an ornament tree (do you know what these are?) with hard candy garland- a lot less time than your traditional cookie tree and the garland can be done way in advance.

Hard candy wreaths to go around candles or a container of choc covered pretzels or cookie suckers.

Gift box cakes

Hope these get the creative juices going- I can give you exact directions on any of these if you need them.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
candle lite nite.
Frozen souffle or bavoise or anything served in a supreme dish. Inside the supreme dish a little h2o, dry ice and a colored glow stick.
Why do I think of bowling when I hear 'candle lite night'? Man am I losing it!

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Using a votive, or a birthday candle, garnish any dessert with the candle, surrounded by either colored poured sugar (or pulled ,if you have the time and inclination), or homemade fruit rolls. The effect of the light shining through is enchanting: like stained glass.

In the fall, I try to have a lot of colored marzipan leaves on hand. They can be done way ahead, and take no time to make. I scatter them on top of, and around desserts, and it looks really festive.

You can do chocolate twigs with leaves, garnishing oversized caramel petit fours for a take-away.For a showpiece, maybe a chocolate buche de noel type of log, studded with marz. leaves, or handmade fruits.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Thank-you, you've got me thinking.............

The first event the day after Thanks. day still has me choked. What-ever I do will have to be made well in advance so I can work on the sweet table. It's a family event to decorate the clubhouses many x-mas trees. That's why the owner asked me about making cookie trees. But I'm also going with a tree theme thru my sweet table........so it's over kill.....

I've been looking around at web site and haven't seen much of anyone with x-mas dessert cakes other then wrapped presents (but I don't have the time to do those). I thought about the truffle trees, but it will cost a fortune and require ALOT of truffles. I also saw a photo of a cookie tree but if I had to decorate the cookies that would slow me down. If I could do something while baking them that would work (using colored doughs or sugars) (I've never seen those stands for sale, do I have to make them?)Stain glass cookies even would be pretty..........hum........

Jeff, I seem to be drawing a blank, what does a supreme dish look like? A ring mold???

Also, I do chocolate leafs but I don't know how to keep maripan leafs in stock (they break when stored out of the cooler and they stick when refridgerated). Would you mind telling me what you do Momoreg? Please??

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help!

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Wendy,
I'm probably dating myself and they might call them something different but a supreme dish as I know it is used for things like shrimp cocktail. They have a bottom for ice and a ring and an insert. I used to do dry ice in them all the time with a frozen souffle.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Your marzipan breaks, huh? If you plastic wrap them and leave 'em at room temp., they should'nt break. Do you wrap them? If you still have probs., add in some fondant. That makes it much easier to work with.

Joined Nov 27, 2001
Those ornament trees can be found at any craft store. I also thought of one other idea for the day after thanksgiving- gingerbread boxes filled with assorted cookies- all can be done in advance.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
How about letting kids decorate their own cookies, I used to make ornament balls out of gingerbread (Julia Child's recipe) and have a hole in the top for a ribbon.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
O.k. I do know what you mean Jeff. That is a cool idea.

Momoreg I put my marzipan in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid. But I guess I'm too rough cause thin items always get broken on me. I like the idea of adding fondant, that seems like a good idea regardless of breakage. Do you just marble your dough? I'm really reaching the point where I need to buy and air brush. I want to do patterns on fondant presents and such! Do you air brush your leafs or use any dusts on them?

I did think about doing cookie boxes Anna. I was thinking about using gum paste shaped over something as my box. I thought about painting something on them once they are dry. It's the size and shape that I can't work thru cause it needs to be large as a centerpiece. But I got stuck visualizing a presentation of them. If I can't see it in my head, I can't do it (weird, I know).

I used to make cookies and gingerbread houses at my old club for the kids to decorate. I'm not certain how many children they have here because it's a much bigger membership then my last club. First I need to find that out before I get myself deeper in detail work. That's how I got into doing centerpiece cakes....I showed the manager my photo book....now they have to understand a centerpiece dessert is in place of a traditional dessert NOT in addition to. One thing at a time......I'm still learning about the club!

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Wendy-
I always add fondant to my marzipan. It's less oily, and much easier to work with. You can color it in your own artistic way. Marbling the colors is the easiest, but the other methods would be pretty too. Just more work. The project sounds like fun.:bounce:

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Now, I'm leaning toward souffles for the candle light dinner. The owner wants something "impressive" and souffles are simple yet most people are impressed. I have to think thru how to stage them....probably have to use a recipe that can be made ahead and held, then baked. Anyone have a recipe source they have used with that technique?

I killed the centerpieces. Told the owner I wouldn't have time to get them done.........But I was informed that she wanted me to make "a really spectaular sweet table then". Hum.........

Latest posts

Top Bottom