Ideas for Spanish Mackerel

Joined Jan 25, 2013
spanhead.jpg
this little fellow and 5 of his closest friends decided they like steel better than minnows and found their way to my freezer as 2" thick steaks and fillets. I am looking for some ideas other than roll in flour and deep fry.

Joined Sep 23, 2017
If you have a smoker, they would be great smoked...
And any left over smoked mackerel can be mixed with creme fraiche, a squeeze of lemon, black pepper and flakes of salt to make a pate? Serve with spring onions on open sandwiches...

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Google "saba no miso-ni". THE Japanese thing to do with any type of mackerel, and great with filleted pieces. If you google "saba" (mackerel) in Japanese you'll search a long time before finding anything BUT recipes for this classic--it's that beloved. And easy!

Joined Jan 25, 2013
thanks for the ideas. cooking for a tough crowd. they usually eat fish breaded with flour and fried, breaded with cornmeal and fried, breaded with cornmeal/flour mixture and fried.... I will do something similar to simmered in miso night before and do some grilled/smoked that day.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
they usually eat fish breaded with flour and fried, breaded with cornmeal and fried, breaded with cornmeal/flour mixture and fried....
How about doing the saba no miso-ni, but instead of braising, simply marinate, then bread and/or dredge and fry. Incorporate some of the marinade into a tartar sauce.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
If you were able to cut steaks they must have been pretty big...
My main question is ... did you get into a school with light tackle (spoons instead of minnows was my clue) and how awesome was the fight?
Jealous.

mimi

Joined Jan 25, 2013
If you were able to cut steaks they must have been pretty big...
My main question is ... did you get into a school with light tackle (spoons instead of minnows was my clue) and how awesome was the fight? Jealous. mimi
the fish were caught in the surf on sorta light(7ft medium rods) tackle using kastmaster spoons. schools of minnows and small mullet were in the breakers. was casting out maybe 30-35 yards. we caught 4 fish that were 17-18 inches. fight was awesome, fishing on point of island where tide, current and wind were from 3 directions.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
the fish were caught in the surf on sorta light(7ft medium rods) tackle using kastmaster spoons. schools of minnows and small mullet were in the breakers. was casting out maybe 30-35 yards. we caught 4 fish that were 17-18 inches. fight was awesome, fishing on point of island where tide, current and wind were from 3 directions.

You can be on my team for the ZA.
;)

mimi

Joined Jan 25, 2013
You can be on my team for the ZA. ;) mimi

just tell me where and when. going back to coast next monday for 3 days. fall fishing here is just starting to peak. cooked 5 small pieces of the mackerel yesterday on grill with red oak for smoke. 3 of 4 eaters approved.

Top Bottom