Ideal dutch oven size?

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
Hello, im in between le creuset oval 6 qt and 9qt, and which too buy. I cook for up to 5 people. But i do like experiment and cook variety of different stuff. Would a 9qt be way too big? What sort of cooking do you do, and what have you found out too work?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
6 quart round is probably the most used for home cooks generally.

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
the oval is a little more practical in terms of fitting a roast for instance. so its a little bigger sort of

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Yeah, I've seen fowl braised that way too.

If you have enough use cases for oval then go for it. You'll have cool ends on the stove top most likely. I went oval with a clad gratin pan. Handles chicken roasting and whole fish on the stove top admirably.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Depends on your preference. For example, I like to go big because dutch oven cooking usually takes a long time to complete, so I want to be able to eat the result more than once. On the other hand, someone like my mom doesn't seem to mind finishing all the food she took 4 hours to cook in one sitting.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Depends on your preference. For example, I like to go big because dutch oven cooking usually takes a long time to complete, so I want to be able to eat the result more than once. On the other hand, someone like my mom doesn't seem to mind finishing all the food she took 4 hours to cook in one sitting.

The mental pix of a small casserole dish in a standard home oven drives me nuts.
A familiy member has done that her entire life ( yeah looking at you Stevie) and it triggers me to go thru the house turning out lights lol.

mimi

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
Thats my main concern, if the 9qt would be ridicoulous big. Could it be too big, like if i were to maintain some liquid level?

Joined Sep 26, 2017
It's not that big, although it could be heavy for some. You can usually go down to half the capacity without any problem, so that would be like using a 4.5 qt one; if you cook at least that much, you shouldn't have to worry.

Top Bottom