Icing that is not sweet

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by peggylady1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. peggylady1

peggylady1

Exp:
    At home cook
    I am trying to find an icing that is not real sweet. Does any one have one to share with me.I bake a lot of cakes and decorate them but we scape off most of the icing. It is too sweet.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't like icing or frosting either. It doesn't add anything to good baked goods IMHO. The exception to prove the rule is cream cheese frosting. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

I've had a less sweet sugar cookie that was OK iced because it brought the whole thing into balance. But that too is the exception to the rule.

Just enjoy them plain and don't bother with the icing and frosting. Saves you the hassle and no waste.

3. prettycake

prettycake Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The sweetness really depends on how much sugar you add..  How about white chocolate ganache ?  no added sugar goes into it.. same as whipped cream and buttercream,  you can add less sugar but no zero sugar.  To me,  its either I make the real thing (w/ the required amount of sugar)  or I don't.

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, dark chocolate ganache is not very sweet at all, and white chocolate cream cheese buttercream is only mildly sweet and quite nice.  I never could make white chocolate ganache without it curdling, but the recipe i used called for a food processor and i don;lt have one, but i imagine that would be really nice too. 

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Just add less sugar.

6. racheal

racheal

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    i think i like the butter cream but would love to see icing sugar that taste less with its sugar

7. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Why not put a thinner coat of icing ? Refine your crumb coat to the point its crumb covered.

Petals.

8. prettycake

prettycake Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

9. prettycake

prettycake Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Siduri,

I had the same problem w/ whitechocolate ganache b4... but lately about 2 weeks ago when I made my entry for the Ghirardelli Competition,  I made it in the microwave, just enough to soften and mix well..  a minute more would have burned it.  I let it coool then I whipped it.  It turned into a whipped cream consistency.  Very nice.  But b4 whipping,  it looked like Elmers glue.  I will no longer use  Bain Marie...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  10. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Peggy,

Have you ever thought of adding cream cheese to your icing  ? Just a thought .

Petals.

11. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    thanks prettycake, i might try it again. 

12. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Swiss Meringue Buttercream, Italian Meringue Buttercream and a 7-minute frosting are all similar and not very sweet but very light and fluffy.

13. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Stabilized whipped cream.

ellenda likes this.
  14. cajunfman

cajunfman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    when making my butter cream instead of milk I mix 2 tablespoons water, vanilla, and some popcorn salt then add it to the mix. It cuts the sugary taste in half.

15. prettycake

prettycake Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    its the sugar..... less sugar less sweetness../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

16. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Sugar provides structure as well as flavor.

The MBC's need it to stabilize the egg whites.

American style needs it for thickening.

Maybe one of the cooked flour based icings would be better, but still pretty sweet.

Salt will mask it somewhat, but the only real way to actually use less sugar is in whipped cream as it provides it's own structure.

17. rollinglegumes

rollinglegumes

Exp:
    Other
    I like a thick chocolate mousse as an icing. Also a fruit compote can be tasty. If you start with a sour fruit it can be very balanced (rhubarb is in season). 

18. marip

marip

Exp:
    At home cook
    Rich's Bettercreme frosting is what I use.  Less sweet than butter cream frosting.