icing for....

Joined Feb 22, 2016
Hello i want to make a icing for muffins using yogurt. but i want it some what stiff. after i drain/strain the yogurt what can i add to stiffen it up? and can i bake it for a few mins after that might firm it up. thanks!
chef john(retired)

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
Assuming you are using plain unsweetened yogurt, be advised that even after you drain/strain it, when you add sugar to it, it will thin out again somewhat. There's really not a lot of ways you can thicken it up to the point where it has the consistency of buttercream if that's what you're after. Some Southern buttercreams are thickened with a roux somewhat and I suppose you could try that, but it sounds kind of terrible to me. I don't think you could stiffen it with whipped butter either, as it would most likely break if it would even come together at all. If it were me, and I wanted to use yogurt, I wouldn't try to make the yogurt something it's not......I'd use it as a glaze type of icing if anything. Mix in a little powdered sugar, whatever other flavorings you like, and thin it down with a little milk or lemon juice depending on how tart you want it. Then drizzle it over your muffin tops.

Joined Feb 22, 2016
Assuming you are using plain unsweetened yogurt, be advised that even after you drain/strain it, when you add sugar to it, it will thin out again somewhat. There's really not a lot of ways you can thicken it up to the point where it has the consistency of buttercream if that's what you're after. Some Southern buttercreams are thickened with a roux somewhat and I suppose you could try that, but it sounds kind of terrible to me. I don't think you could stiffen it with whipped butter either, as it would most likely break if it would even come together at all. If it were me, and I wanted to use yogurt, I wouldn't try to make the yogurt something it's not......I'd use it as a glaze type of icing if anything. Mix in a little powdered sugar, whatever other flavorings you like, and thin it down with a little milk or lemon juice depending on how tart you want it. Then drizzle it over your muffin tops.
thanks this is what i was thinking also. do you think if i added

thanks, this is what i was thinking also. do you think by adding "gumm"(sp) similiar to gelatin it would help?

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
Well, if you are drain/straining the yogurt first, it'll have the consistency of cream cheese and it doesn't get much thicker than that really. I suppose you could experiment with gums or gelatin or even pectin but I'm not really seeing the point of all this to be honest. It isn't something I would do, but hey, go for it.

Joined Feb 18, 2007
why do you want to put icing on muffins? Just curious; usually I see a drizzled icing on cinnamon buns/danish/breakfast pastries and not muffins. What kind of muffins are they (flavor)? Adding sugar to the strained yogurt will thin it out, not stiffen it; maybe you don't need to thicken it at all if you start with a vanilla yogurt and leave it til it is thick enough to spread (don't add sugar)

Joined Feb 22, 2016
why do you want to put icing on muffins? Just curious; usually I see a drizzled icing on cinnamon buns/danish/breakfast pastries and not muffins. What kind of muffins are they (flavor)? Adding sugar to the strained yogurt will thin it out, not stiffen it; maybe you don't need to thicken it at all if you start with a vanilla yogurt and leave it til it is thick enough to spread (don't add sugar)
thanks for the answer. its a long story. i thought and think a drizzle is much better thanks again

Latest posts

Top Bottom