ice cream roll

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cooki, May 11, 2006.

1. cooki

cooki

Exp:
    At home cook
    i am making an ice cream roll and i was wondering you know how after i make it i need to chill it so the ice cream is cold, should i put it in the fridge or the freezer? (i am pretty sure it doesn't really matter...) but if i keep it in the freezer, won't the cake get all frozen up, and if i keep it in the refrigerator, will the ice cream set and be cold enough to cut?

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'd put it in the freezer, then take it out 15 minutes before serving. But I've not made my own and there may be another take on this.

3. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Unless you have a commercial freezer I wouldn't worry about it being too frozen to cut when you remove it from the freezer, and yes it does matter. Unless you have a refrigerator set at 32ºF (in which case you have a freezer, not a fridge) your ice cream will not set up in the fridge.
    As far as the cake goes, the sugars and the crumb set up in the cake will keep it from from freezing as hard as the ice cream. The cake will also thaw out quite significantly very quickly. So I would not worry too much.