Ice Cream in a Can?!

Joined Oct 28, 1999
Some time ago, I came across an article on how to make ice cream in a can. This was an "at home with the kids" type of article. I was thinking this would be a great experiment to do with my elementary school classes. Alas, I have misplaced the article. Is anybody familiar with this experiment/technique?
As I recall, it called for some ice, salt, cream, sugar & ??? in a can that was to be shaken for about 10 minutes. Any help???
Thanks!

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Here you go, Jim. http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/coffeecn.html

I've done this with kids at school, and they have a ball with it. It really works! The hardest thing was finding the two cans; there has to be enough of a difference in the sizes to have adequate ice/salt all around. We didn't use anything besides the plastic lid for the can with the ice cream mixture, and some of the salt got in it. Maybe seal it in a plastic bag??

The link also gives a much faster method with ziplock bags. Let us know how it comes out!

Joined Oct 28, 1999
Praise you, o' wise one! I will be sure to let you know how it turns out... and to tell the kiddies that Auntie Mezz was the source for the recipe! :)

Top Bottom