Ice Box Black Walnut Cake

pj

Joined Aug 18, 2000
I would like to have the recipe for Ice-box black walnut cake I had several years ago at a restaurant that no longer exists. Can anyone provide a yummy recipe for me? This cake I remember had a creamy light frosting. And it was chilled. Thanks PJ :confused:

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Dear PJ,

I found a recipe in the White House Cookbook [1828] for a walnut cake:

"Two cups of fine white sugar creamed with half a cup of butter, three eggs, two-thirds of a cup of sweet milk, three cups of sifted flour, three teaspoonfuls of baking powder sifted through the flour; a tablespoonful (level) of powdered mace, a cup of hickory nut or walnut meats chopped a little. Fill the cake pans with a layer of the cake, then a layer of raisins upon that, then strew over these a handful of nuts, and so on until the pan is two-thirds full. Line the tins with well-buttered paper and bake in a steady, but not quick, oven. This is most excellent."

There is a similar recipe for walnut cake - with more modern instructions - in the Culinary Arts Institute Cookbook. If you want that recipe, will be happy to send it to you. Happy baking.

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: nancya ]

pj

Joined Aug 18, 2000
:confused: Dear Svadhisthana,

I have spent hours on the computer scanning different food web-sites including the one you mentioned. I am just not having any luck. I looked through all my cookbooks, and can't find a recipe for Black Walnut cake. I am stunned! Hope somebody can ease my pain. Help!Help

pj

Joined Aug 18, 2000
Thanks to Nancya for the WhiteHouse Cookbook recipe. And thank you Monstagrrrl, for the suggestion of the Epicurious web-page for the Jiffy cake.

After much searching, I happened onto the www.virtualcities.com site, and found a wonderful recipe there. Only thing I changed was the recipe for the frosting. I didn't want a cream cheese type frosting. The cake I remembered had a light fluffy frosting. So, I used 3 beaten egg whites, and 1 cup heavy cream. Then I mixed in I think two cups of powdered sugar. I added vanilla, and 1/4 cup chopped black walunts to finish. I sprinkled in about 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. It turned out great. I was so thrilled, and I got raves on the cake. I did refrigerate it though, because of the light frosting. It was very delicate. Finally, I found the recipe I was looking for. But, I plan on trying the White House recipe just for grins. Thank you so much for the input. PJ :D

pj

Joined Aug 18, 2000
More on the Black Walnut Cake adventure, once I made the cake and it was a hit, I decided to make it again. But, finding black walnuts this time of year is almost impossible. Then, I found a web-site for nuts. Hammondsproducts.com I ordered a big supply of black walnuts to store in my freezer for the cakes, and whatever else I might want black walnuts for. So, I am taken care of friends. Thanks for everybody's help. I love this website. Friendly, caring people who share their time with ideas and recipes for those lost souls like me in a dilemma with a lost recipe. I really appreciate all you kind folks! PJ ;)

Top Bottom