I WISH I Could Go To This ...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kaneohegirlinaz, Apr 19, 2013.

1. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  2. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You and I both. I'm usually a health nut, but I grew up with spam, and it completes me. Have you ever had masubi? I make it once in a BLUE moon, and oh boy, it's like I've died and gone to heaven.

Most people who despise spam never had it deep fried, and that's where they go wrong. Don't ever judge spam until you've had it DEEP fried.

pic of my spam... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smiles.gif

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Musubi rocks.

A cook that worked for me a few years back knew of my twisted attraction and made me a lamp out of spam cans for a Christamas present/img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif.

4. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lol, cool.

5. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cooler that my 200th post was about spam. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    http://www.cheftalk.com/t/70685/k-girl-s-food-travel-journal

Pollopicu, the above link is to a thread I started last year after our last trip back home.  I think I counted 6 different ways that we ate Spam.  Even my American-Italian-East-Coast-gimme-pasta husband likes it.  I’ll eat Spam pretty much any which way you give it me. 

Not a fan of it straight out of the can though, but if I had to I would eat it.

7. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Any photos Braddah Layne?

That sounds like fun!  Maybe keep it in the Den, not so much in the formal living room  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pollopicu, I even have the deluxe model Musubi form that I brought with me from Hawaii.  Whenever my sister visits (or we go to their place), she BEGS me to make her my Spam Musubi for the car ride back to Los Angeles, but never shares ANY of it with her husband

9. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    "...a lamp out of spam cans..."

Yeah, chefL - any pix? I'm asking purely as an interested craftsman, not because of any affection for Spam.   Haven't had any since my early teens which, believe me, was some time ago./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Mike 

Well, how about the recipe for this masumi, musumi, whatever.  Maybe you could lure me back into the fold.

10. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I wish I hadn't glanced at your journal because I'm starved now. I was looking at the Masubi menu..I'd like to devour the spicy kind. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Those baked mussels don't look half bad either...and the icy's. They have the same in PR and it's called Piragua. So good on a nice hot day.

When I first met my husband and told him I loved Spam he gave me a judgmental look like spam was the trashiest thing a person could eat.. well I taught him. Now it's one of his electric chair last meals. lol

I cannot eat spam out of the can, or lightly pan fried. it has to be deep fried. It's like night and day, which is why I can see why people despise it.

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    MikeLM, I was just thinking the other day about making Spam Musubi.  It’s uber easy, I’ll make some for you (via photos) and post it all up.  We’re not SUPPOSE to eat anything white just yet, but I can take one for team CT…  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pollopicu, where’s the Soy sauce and Furikake on the rice? 

13. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No furikake, but the soy/Asian sauce is on that little metal rami. :)

14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No pics of the lamp, when I closed my restaurant the lamp went into storage with everything else. It is in there somewhere, but so buried that I have no idea where.

Speaking of spam dishes, besides musubi,another favorite way that I like to prepare it is batons of spam tempura with seaweed salad, Japanese spinach with sweet sesame seeds, and togarishi hollandaise. Yum!

15. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Braddah Layne, you sure know how to make a home-sick-island-gal ball her eye out! 

Mahalo plenty

16. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ... cheflayne, that really sounds GOOD!  any photos?  Could you elaborate? 

17. knyfeknerd

knyfeknerd

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gotta get the Spam Musubi at the general store in Hana. It's the Hawaiian version of hot dogs in gas stations on the mainland.

Spam rules!

I also love the Portuguese Breakfast at McDonald's in Hawaii: Eggs, Portuguese sausage and rice.

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    pollopicu likes this.
  19. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never tried it... but when I think of awesome ways to eat spam, I think of nice soft fresh French bread, such as this:

[​IMG]

filled with scrambled egg whites, melty yellow cheese, such as Land O Lakes, or cheese wiz (haven't had wiz in years!) topped with thin slices of thoroughly deep-fried spam.

gross, huh?

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

20. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food