I want to know everything about oven roasted suckling pig!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by athena, Feb 20, 2006.

1. athena

athena

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yep! That's it in a nut shell! I want to know what everyone else knows about roasting a suckling pig in the oven. I'm switching from goat to piglet this Easter so I'm getting ready!

As I said in my intro...I've been on the web looking for info and learned a lot of nothing. Too many discrepancies! I want to hear what you all have to say. Any experiences you are willing to share?

Thanks in advance,
    :rolleyes:

2. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Have you read B. Kafka's book about Roasting or some other "How to Cook Meat" books. They really helped me. I made a piglet for Christmas and it turned out great!

Here are some of the things I did.

1. Marinated the meat, or you can brine it.
    2. A few hours before you are ready to roast, pat dry the skin and let air dry more. This will make a super crispy skin.
    3. Start high in the oven and then turn it down later.
    4. Roast on a pan with low sides for the best browning.
    5. Do not cover the meat when you let it rest since tends to soften the skin.

That's about it. I marinated the piglet with a pesto made of lemon rind, garlic, rosemary, parsely and just a few pine nuts. Good luck.

3. kevinvilla

kevinvilla

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    sounds like lechon. Mmmm, lechon. In the Philippines they stuff the cavity with lemongrass, no marinade and I'm pretty sure they don't brine it either. Then again, I think Filipino pigs are a whole different breed from American pigs. Something about Americans and their fear of fat.

Does it make a difference whether it's spit roaster or oven roasted?
    Another technique my dad told me about was wiping the pig down with a wet cloth as you roast it. He says it makes the skin crispier. No idea if that's true or not.