I realize I'm doing things a bit bass ackwards

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by ricib, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ricib

ricib

but I figured practically everyone else has introduced themselves, so why not me? Even if I have posted more than a few times already.

First, my nickname contains my actual first name. But, I usually just don't mind being called ricib (pronounced ricky bee, not rice ib as my brother calls me).

Ok, so formalities out of the way. I have plenty of experience in the kitchen, both at home and on the job. The first cookbook I ever recieved was when I was 8 y.o. "For Kids who cook" or something like that. I didnt' know what to do first, so i picked something easy, or so I thought. Apple turnovers. Imagine my surprise when they turned out pretty darned decent. I haven't stoppped baking since, which is my first love. (though there is that beautiful latin girl I have known all my life, she's pretty hot, so she might be my actual first love).

My first job ever was in a community college cafe cough cough years ago. Let's just say mid 80's. My most recent and one I just left was at a fine dining establishment near my home in St. Louis, where it was an Italian Restaurant, but with a French Chef running the kitchen. Figure that one out, and get back to me.

We had everything on the menu from fries, to fried fried shrimp and even Crevettes. White sauce, mushroom sauce, lobster bisque and Escoff. sauce. (I can make it but can't spell it, hehe). Frog legs to Lobster and everything Italian, with some French additions.

The Chef himself is/was a great teacher to me personally, and I'm proud to have learned anything along side of him.

At this point I don't know if I want to stay in the business or not, I'm kinda burned out on the egos that go with people who've been in a particular kitchen longer than other people, and as tough as people need to be, it doens't have to be that way all the time. I do my job, I do it well, with little or no problems and people should be happy with that, but of course they aren't.

Anyway, I also have taught myself about making candies and chocolate candies specifically. So I've done research adn lots of trial and error. Let me tell you, even if you make NO money on yoru first sale, it's all worth it, knowing someone likes the product enough to pay for it.

So there is the "short" introduction. I'm always glad to offen an opinion or advice if I think I can help.

Take care all,
    Ric

P.S. - My spelling is atrocious (I probably spelled that wrong even), so just skip over it, and try at least to understand what I type, as my fingers are sometimes too fast for my mind to react.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Nice to meet you, Ric! And don't give a thought to the spelling. It kind of goes with the toque, I'm finding. ;)

We'll look forward to your posts. Don't forget to take a look at the articles and reviews at the main Chef Talk site!

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Finally!!! someone with the same problem. I can usually spell and talk a mile a minute. I can't stand the thought of previewing my posts.
    I have gone back and read some of my posts and usually can't understand what I was trying to say.
    Good to have you here.
    Pan