I need your help!<linguistic research>

Joined May 16, 2002
Hi i'm Luca, Italian,waiter,studying languages at the University
and i'm trying to do something like a research about the english terms related to food.
I need to collect idomatic expressions, senteces, proverbs and whatever else concerning the matter.
(for a better research I would need some info about you:
name, age, occupation, country)

....and if you need any kind of suggestion about italian cookery,don't be shy!! ASK ME

I'll be lifelong grateful to anybody would be so kind to help me.

:confused:

Joined Jan 5, 2001
I believe there was a thread a few months ago regarding proverbs, maxims or common sayings related to food. Just do a search; you'll find tons of good stuff there I'm sure.

Welcome to Cheftalk!

Joined Jan 11, 2002
Ciao Luca, e benvenuto a Cheftalk!:)
As far as I know, we're the only two Italians here...but no doubt you are the most qualified, being professionally involved both in food and in foreign languages;)
Since it wouldn't be kind of me posting here in Italian, I'll send you a private message...

Pongi

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Hi Luca!

Interesting topic. I suggest that you spend sometime reading the forums. In the discussions we have had , regarding , food you can trace the idiomatic expressions you are looking for.

I 'd suggest you to start from Cook's Corner and then proceed to the more specific forums.
Don't forget the restaurant rave forum. There , people describe food they have had and cooking methods.

The paradise of terminology is the Recipe Exchange Forum.

BUT Pastry chefs are very discriptive too. Read the whole forum!!!:)

Pretty much homework I know, but I am certain that you will be thrilled.

I'd like to read more in the WAY you work , I mean the lingustic approach to food!

Welcome to Chef Talk and have fun!

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Welcome to chef talk, Luca! I will soon be visiting Italy, and hope to enjoy the culture and cuisine of your beautiful country.

Joined Jan 11, 2002
Mezzaluna: if you need advice about good restaurants and food shops for your next visit to Italy please ask me too!

Kokopuffs: sarò lieta di scriverti in Italiano se ti fa piacere! Però, in cambio, mi devi aiutare con l'Inglese...almeno per i termini culinari (se dovessi correggere tutti i miei errori non ti basterebbe tutto il giorno!;) )

Pongi

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Well Pongi:

It looks as if you know English (upscale American!) better than I remember Italian, which I haven't taken since by Berkeley days of the mid 70's. I spoke too soon. Sheesh.

Yet, I understood your post after several passes: tit for tat!

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Hey K.

It seems to me that when other people were doing wow things -according to the urban legend that has been spreading in Europe- in Berkley you were learning languages!!!!!:eek: :D

Joined Aug 4, 2000
That's correct, A. Spent most of my time in the libraries handling and acquiring old, old tomes - dated all the way back to the 1600's! It beat hangin' out at Peoples' Park chasing butterflies.

Joined May 14, 2001
Welcome!

What part of Italy are you in? I spent two wonderful years in Sarnico, on Lago d'Iseo. Wonderful, wonderful memories of your country, the people, and of course the food!

Joined May 16, 2002
Hello everybody
I spent a lot of time trying to use this fantastic Cafe', and checking some threads...interesting and useful!
Thank You, again.
L:beer:

Joined Jan 11, 2002
kokopuffs,

your "tit for tat" puzzled me at first (maybe, I supposed, something like "translating Italian terms for translating American terms?":D ).
Then, I checked my dictionary and found out that's the same of the Italian "rendere pan per focaccia".
Very appropriate for a Cheftalk member!;)

Pongi

Joined Mar 17, 2001
I should declare my hand here: I did an italian degree which is getting rustier by the day; I love cooking but I'm not a professional. I'd love to help if you need to understand anything..

Plum.

Joined Dec 28, 2000
Ciao Luca,
Buon Compleanno!!! Tanti auguri a te.....tanti auguri a te...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Quanti anni hai e dove abiti??? Parliamo un po in Italiano perche voglio imparare un po di piu. Dimmi un po di te...da dove sei?

A presto,

Bufano
:chef:

Joined Dec 28, 2000
:beer:

Ciao Luca,
Italy made it to the second round.....hope they win!!!! Forza!!!

Hope to hear from you hear on ChefTalk. Please send a response here so I can access your post.

A presto,

Bufano

"Amici e vino devono essere vecchi"

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Latest posts

Top Bottom