I Need Wedding Cake Portion Advice

Joined Jan 1, 2001
I am making a wedding cake for our dear nanny's big day. As I am doing it as our gift to her and her future husband, food cost is really not an issue. I need advice as to what size rounds and how many of them would be enough to serve 125-130 people. We spoke today and played around with arrangement of cake layers. She favored a 14", a 12" and a 10" round each stacked on top of each other, and then pillars seperating the top 6" layer which will be saved for their 1st anniversary.
The wedding reception will be a Sunday Brunch and judging by what I know of their families and the menu, they like to eat. I checked some sources like Wilton books and Collette's wedding cake book. Based on their portion sizes, I should have more than enough; but in estimating the number of cuts per cake I don't think so.
What do you other cake artists think? Should I size up each round to a 16", 14" and 12"?
Any advice is heartily welcome.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
fnf,
If your cake is good which I'm sure it will be ,then don't worry about going up. I've not heard of wiltom and collet but I think the normal portion is quite small 1x2.
We prefer more than a 1" graduation in cakes. This tends to make the cake more of a column. If you were to do a 16-12-8-4
you will have more of a triangle which is more desireable to photo which I'm sure you're familliar with.
Have fun with your project!!!:D

Joined Jan 1, 2001
Yes, Momoreg, this will be their only dessert-and I believe I am assisting the bride's sister-in-law in cutting and serving the cake. There will be alternating layers of two different flavors; chunky applesauce spice cake with sultana, walnut and candied orange cream cheese filling and pineapple-cornmeal poundcake with pineapple-coconut filling. Both cakes are dense, very moist with lots of flavor.
The bride wants a tower like cake which will be decorated with lots of miniature fresh fruit- crabapples, seckle pears, champagne grapes, red currants, eucolyptus leaves, and sugared orange peel spirals-cascading down the sides of the cake. Minimal piping-swiss dot with gold dragees.
Portions per cake are still troubling me.
For those of you in the biz--if you have to do stacked tiers of round cakes to serve 125-130 (10 kids) what would you make? Assume the top 6" layer will not be served.
Thanks again.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
14-12-10-(6 not eaten) dessert only, other food
16-14-12-(8 not eaten) cake only, punch
I'm assuming no grooms cake. fnf, these are good numbers. We're in the biz. Feel free to e-mail Sophie through the site, she can give much more insight. Although we leave for a week in 9hrs.
Jeff

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Err toward the larger cake. Not only will it be more spectacular, but it will also allow you to serve both flavors to those who want it, should that request arise.

Often, I serve the small tier, and pre-package a 6" or smaller for their anniversary. This way, it looks pristine when they open it next year, it saves me time after the cake cutting, and there's more to serve from the original cake.

Joined Jan 1, 2001
That's so smart, Momo-thanks for the good advice. I'll definately do that with the top tier. It also eliminates the problem of who is going to take the thing home, not something the bride and groom want to deal with.
Thanks for the advice Panini, sounds like I'm on the right track. Thanks for all the help. Have a great time on your vacation.

Joined May 29, 1999
What a great idea having the top tier ready for the in-laws to tote home to the freezer!

Can't tell you guys how much these discussions help!

:bounce:

Latest posts

Top Bottom