I need this

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by fanaticalkira, Nov 11, 2005.

1. fanaticalkira

fanaticalkira

So I am making a gingerbread house for work this year. I work at the biggest retirement community on the east coast and all of the dining room kitchens are making their own gingerbread house (its a little contest every year). I am actually doing a gingerbread town with an electric train going around it... Anyway I need to really thick royal icing that with hold at peak. I just need enough to make about a cup. I could experiment but I dont want to you too much of my ingredients.
    I think Ill post picture of my progress on the town....
    THANK YOU

2. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hey Pan if you are lurking help her out.

3. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    4 cups 10 x sugar
    1/2 cup h2o
    1/4 cup meringue powder
    or
    3/4 cup pasturized whites

you can cut down the amounts and add more or less sugar to the thickness you desire.

4. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Looks like a great answer to me. Hope it helps. Hey M Brown could you use cream of tartar in royal icing? And what is the purpose for adding it? I am assuming its too reduce the moisture intake of the icing so it will not breakdown as easily. Just assuming don't know.

5. fanaticalkira

fanaticalkira

Fantastic...Now i have another question haha....I want to make some trees using an ice cream cone....I want to make them detailed
    [​IMG]
    Kinda like the trees in this picture...(not my picture) My will probably look different. But what kind of icing would you suggest. I was thinking Buttercream icing would hold well. If thats the case ill search out a good recipe (probably my grandmothers recipe) Unless someone has one they suggest. Thanks a bunch. This is great help.

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Royal icing all the way!! It's the best choice for gingerbread houses, trees, etc.

7. fanaticalkira

fanaticalkira

Ok Most appreciated....I will keep y'all updated on my progress...Probably nothing right now. Just getting a few things straight so ill be prepared...

8. lwp

lwp

Yep. I've done the ice cream cone trees when I did a huge gingerbread castle for my gf's daughter and royal icing works great. Spread it on and pat the "tree" all over with the flat side of a knife (or your finger, that's what I used) and it will pull out little spikes that look like the tips of the branches. Then you can glue on little decorations with small dots of royal icing after it dries or stick them on before it dries. I prefer doing them all, letting them dry, then decorating because then I don't flatten all the "branches" while moving it around.

9. fanaticalkira

fanaticalkira

Ill try that...thanks :)