I need some help with this recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by mezzaluna, Jun 1, 2003.

1. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I needed a low-carb brunch dish for today, so I made this up. I mixed it up (except for the parmesan cheese) and chilled it until I baked it this morning. I used pre-sliced button and baby portabella mushrooms because I was in a hurry. It was very tasty and I was asked for the recipe by a number of people.

The finished product substituted 8 oz. cream cheese for the sour cream and had 1.5 cups half and half. It was kind of juicy. A friend suggested I chop the mushrooms instead of using sliced ones, reduce the half and half, substitute sour cream for cream cheese, and let it rest before serving. This version, which makes 25 servings, has 5 carbs per serving.

Please take a look and let me know how I can reduce the amount of moisture. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mushroom Brunch Casserole

4 pounds fresh mushrooms
    2 cups diced celery
    1.5 cups onion, diced
    .5 cups fresh parsely, chopped
    1 tablespoon rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
    1/4 cup olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    8 eggs, beaten
    1 cup half and half
    1 cup sour cream
    .5 cup parmesan cheese, grated

1. Saute chopped mushrooms in olive oil, in batches if necessary. If liquid collects, continue sauteeing until it is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
    2. Saute celery in olive oil until soft. Season wtih sage and poultry seasoning. Saute onion in olive oil until translucent.
    3. Combine egg, half and half, and sour cream. Put vegetables in an oiled baking dish. Pour egg mixture over. (Can be refrigerated at this point.) Bake in 400° oven for 40 minutes or until bubbly.
    4. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake another 10 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm certain to get some flak and shaken heads for this, but substituting dried minced onion would help. It would absorb moisture to rehydrate and become tender. Might need a longer stand time to do it.

Also try a well drained yogurt instead of the sour cream?

Phil

3. mike

mike

The moisture is coming from the celery which I would reduce or sub with either diced fried or roast peppers . Its looks like a savoury cheescake mix & the addition of a couple more yolks should help.
    also moisture coming from sour cream I think you could get same flavour with low fat cream cheese & add shredded lemon rind.

chow