I need some help on getting a good quality genuine Saffron seller...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by asgar, Mar 25, 2012.

1. asgar

asgar

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Hi,

I am a restaurant manager of a newly opening soon restaurant in Malaysia. Our restaurant plan to introduce Hyderabadi Biryani & other north Indian specialty dishes. We tried and added Saffron in some of our dishes, unfortunately the Saffron quality we are getting is not that good. Therefore, can somebody advise or recommend us any good, reliable and genuine seller of Saffron in our region i.e. Malaysia, Singapore or any other nearby location. Will also appreciate if you could kindly give us some ideas on choosing the best Saffron origin. 

Thank you,
    Asgar  

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Best quality is kind of a tough question.  You can get bad, medium, good and great saffron from the same region.  But assuming you're paying for and getting top of the line stuff, the best countries of origin (terroir?) are Afghanistan and Iran with Kashmir very close behind. 

You're looking for very long, evenly colored threads with no to very little yellow, from the most recent (2011) harvest.  The best objective measurement is the ISO number, but not all saffron is graded in that way and I'm not sure if any is in your region.  Also, I don't know any good dealers outside of the US.  Good luck.

BDL