i need help with coloring cocobutter

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by flourchild, Apr 3, 2017.

1. flourchild

flourchild

Exp:
    Home Cook
    hi everyone 

im new to candy making i have seen beautiful techniques with molded chocolates using colored cocobutter

im trying to mix my own i have raw natural cocobutter and americolor powdered food colorings does anyone

know the proper technique to mix together and what consistency should i look for 

thank you for all help and suggestions

ps need this for my moms easter present

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Melt yor cocoabutter, never going over 40 C. Add in your powdered fat soluable colour. How much depends on how vibrant you want your colours to be. Stir out any lumps/clumps of powder. Your colour will now look grainy and "not quite right". Place the coloured coco butter in the fridge and let it harden. Now take it out and melt it gently, this time not exceeding 32-ish C. Your colour has now completely dissolved, it, may settle to the bottom with time, but a quick stir and it will be good.

If you are colouring white chocolate with this, there is no need to be so picky about the temp of the coloured cocobutter you are adding to your tempered chocolate--its only a few drops and wont knock your chocolate out of temper.

If you are brushing coloured cocobutter into molds or avetate sheets, you need to be pretty much right on 32 C, you'll know when your coloured cocobutter hardens within a minute or two.

Hope this helps,

3. flourchild

flourchild

Exp:
    Home Cook
    hi food pump

ty for replying i am pretty much painting the molds they are3d easter eggs  ty so much for the instructions

now i know what i did wrong i didnt let it harden and then remelted it i tried using it as paint will try it again

i know it would be easier to just order colored cocobutter but its too expensive lol 

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Nah, you're thinking like a pastry chef! Why buy the pre mixed stuff when you can make your own for much, much cheaper!

5. flourchild

flourchild

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ty for the compliment i guess i like to see what i can make im not into any of the prepackaged stuff

like cake mixes(ugh) or that canned stuff ill post pics if it only comes out otherwise wait and see

thanx again