i need help making roses

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by isaac, Jul 24, 2001.

1. isaac

isaac

hey all. today after work, my pastry chef showed me how to make roses out of modeling choclate. we kneaded the chocolate until it was pliable and then we rolled it into a log and cut a fat piece for a base. then we cut pieces of the log and rolled them up to form small balls. we took a piece of plastic wrap and put it on the counter and took a few of the balls and folded plastic wrap over the balls and pushed them down to form a a bud. then we attached them to the base.

i was wondering if there are diffrent ways to make these roses. i dont mind this way but it seems to take a little longer this way. i recall seeing a pastry chef make the roses but pusing a small ball of chocolate in there palm and it form a bud but i cant really recall if that was what she was doing.

can anyone help????

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    There are many ways to make them, and several things you can use as a medium. Buttercream roses are usually made with a bag and a nail.

Gumpaste, marzipan, and fondant roses can be done the way you describe, or using a spoon in a swirling motion, thinning out the edges, and scraping off the table with a spatula. I have also seen them done with a plastic scraper, basically smearing each petal into the table, and quickly scraping them off. You can also use cutters, and just thin out the edges, before placing them on the rose.

3. w.debord

w.debord

I'm very familar with making roses out of the white and dark chocolate plastics. I use the microwave to soften the dough. But you must be extremely careful not to over heat it....about 15 seconds for 10 oz. or so. Than you don't have spend but a minute kneading. It also stays pilable longer. Rolling it into a log on a stainless table or marble also cools the dough down fast so you then waste time re-kneading it so it's pliable again on each leaf. Place you flower on any other type of surface that doesn't conduct heat or cold as easily.

I form the base like a tear drop and flatten the bottom on the counter so it's free standing. Then I take a pinch of dough for the petal, flatten and shape it into a oval in my hand (it just takes a second). Push it onto/around the bottom of the bud to adhear, then roll back the top thin edge so the petals edge has a curl. You do that continuing outward.

Pay attention to the height of your petals they should be the pretty much the same height until you very last three that hide you base by being low. If you leafs aren't the right height in relation to your bud, it ruins the professional appearance.

I make several other things out of the plastic chocolates. It's really a great medium! I make big bows and ribbons and wrap my b-day cakes in them. It's so much quicker than melting real chocolate and making bows plus it's far more dramatic! You can color the white chocolate any color or even marble the two together for an effect. I've made leafs, bees, banners, etc...and the list never ends.

4. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Making roses by forming each petal between a plastic bag is time consuming, but I love the results! I tried out using a rose petal cutter and it was much too uniform and unrealistic, though it did go a lot quicker. I just like how when you make them between the plastic, the petals get a very fine edge and sometimes tear a little just like how real rose petals are.

5. isaac

isaac

HOW DO YOU MAKE CHCOLATE BOW TIES?????????????

6. w.debord

w.debord

I make bows' mainly, once once or twice did I cut it into a bow tie (which is similar)....anyway it's rather simple. This is for a bow like the kind you tie your shoes with....you also can make the kind people buy for packages but it isn't as dramatic actually.

I slightly heat my plastic in the micro. then roll it on a marble slab (because it's important you don't get it too warm). When it's cool it will set very quickly and hold it's shape with-out any support under the bow.

O.K., so you roll you plastic and use a metal scraper to unstick it from the marble, you roll one side then flip over and roll the other. It's also quicker if you kind of roll your plastic into a long log first so you don't have to stretch it, then your just flattening it to your desired thickness.

Take a ruler and and pairing knive and cut it to the width you desire. Anywhere from 1 1/2" to 3" (with the wider looking the most dramatic but it must also fit the cake). Peel away the scaps (to reuse later) and cut your strip in half length wise. Fold each stip over into a bow and pinch while flattening the dough at the open end (which will become the center of the knot. If your dough is cool it should hold shape and not colapse....if it won't hold a nice rounded shape place some balled up cheese cloth (or anything the right size) into the loop, and set it aside.

Then roll out more dough into a log, flatten by rolling, measure the same width and cut it. Then it takes only a small piece about 2" long and your gather both sides of your bow and push them together in the center, then wrap the new piece around them, looking like the center knot of the bow. Then cut the ribbon that extends past the bow usually about 3" or 4" long. Pinch it together on one end while flattening it and place that under your bow, same for the other side. Then cut this on an angle to finish your bow.

You can place this on a cake several ways.... like you would a present. This looks really nice on a ganche covered cake using the dark chocolater plastic. Roll out the plastic the same width as the bow and use that as the ribbon leading to the bow on the cake. If you want you can pinch the ribbon for the cake in our hand (before you place it on the cake) so it looks like it's gathered naturally under your bow.

I finish my borders with a simple piped ganche dot. That makes completes the professional look.

7. w.debord

w.debord

Another way to form a bow with the plastic or gum paste is...once it's rolled out and cut to the width you desire, you cut it to length and loop it over to create the bow. Gather it and pinch it together and flatten at the open end (with gum paste use egg white to glue before you pinch together and also insert a wire looped at one end for strenght). The dough that has been pinched together shouldn't be very long or it will be in the way when you gather your two halfs of the bow in the center.

Place the loop (which is the rounded part of the bow) over a broom handle or any dowel that's the right diamiter for the size of you bow, letting it hang until it's dry or cold. Then slide it off the handle or dowel and begin assembling as I mentioned above.

Or if your using gum paste you can stick the wires (cut them so their not too long) into a base of a firm dough (something like chocolate plastic that will support the weight of the bows)and form/place it into a bow shape like the kind you buy from the stores. That's what you see in alot of books. The bow will look funny if you just insert the wired dough into the cake because the cake can't support the weight of the wires. So use a mound of dough (the same color as you ribbon) and when you fill you ribbon out with loops you won't hardly see the base mound.

8. kimmie

kimmie

9. w.debord

w.debord

Hey Kimmie, Have you used any of the recipes from the site you just posted? I have, some of them aren't bad!

I can't remember which ones I've tried now....brain is moving slow....o.k., the cinnamon have made. They are excellent fresh, not so when frozen. But I use the cream cheese based frosting they use with the cin. rolls on my own recipes...it's like a Cinnabon.

The petite four spounge was decent.....

anyone else make any recipes from that site?

10. kimmie

kimmie

No Wendy, it was just to help out Isaac...

;)