I need a warp-less half sheet pan

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by kaneohegirlinaz, Apr 29, 2011.

1. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I see that Cook’s Illustrated is one of the sponsors here, and I have been trying to find an “Essential Kitchen Equipment” item (Aug 2009 issue), the Lincoln Foodservice 13 gauge half size heavy duty sheet pan.   I thought I found it at Amazon.com, but the thing warped so bad the first time I used it (375 degrees in a home electric oven, not a good thing when roasting off bacon).   I used to have a half sheet pan from Williams-Sonoma, fabulous!!   But it was starting to wear (the finish was starting to come off) and they have changed their design, that one warps too!!  

Maybe someone can give a home cook some suggestions where to find a heavy gauge half sheet pan that will not warp?

2. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    any restaurant supply place will have what you need at the fraction of the cost of W-S. don't know where you are in arizona, but there are quite a few choices in tuscon and phoenix, which even if a long drive from where you are, is usually worth it..you don't have to own a restaurant to buy at one, and once you are there, look around at all the other great stuff they have to offer...great saute pans, stock pots, utensils, little stuff too...just be careful to look at the sheet pans as there are different grades...also, most restaurant supply places have a website so you can surf a bit beforehand, or even buy online for that matter, but its fun to into the showroom/warehouse if you never have. if you are in the tuscon area i can give you the name of a few places...google is your friend as well...hope this helps a bit

joey

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Go on line  EDWARD DON>COM  Chicago Il.

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    See if you can buy used ones. The older ones are much heavier then todays pans.

5. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    as the gauge # increases, the thickness decreases..i usually get 13 gauge. don't get glazed(coated)...use parchment paper..half sheet pan size is 18x13, full is 18x26. there is also a quarter pan size, but what's the point of that one there should be no problem fitting the half sheet into a normal sized oven.....the supply store should be able to help you out with brand names...i use NSF generally.....as chefed advises look for a used one as they are heavier, which is better. go online and have a looksee around...you can contact them with any questions by email or calling their tollfree number...good luck!

joey

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    funny thing, i had a nsf 18 gauge and it warped at 350 degrees...

7. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    vollrath is another brand to look at, but remember,the lower the gauge, the thicker the steel.... its the heavier gauge that makes the pan tougher, more durable...the heavier the gauge, the heavier the workload. the lighter the gauge, the lighter duty it's made for...so while an 18 gauge is fine for cookies and bicuits,and cooking quiches on, its not as durable, thick or tough as a 13 gauge..or a 12..that's all i know, i swear!

joey

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  8. granny smith

granny smith

Exp:
    At home cook
    You might laugh at this, but Walmart has some heavy duty aluminum sheet pans that don't warp. I've even broiled on them, and they stayed flat. The price is right, too, under $10 each.

9. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh my Granny Smith, really?  Is there a "brand" name on it?  Shot, I was a Wal-Mart just this afternoon.  I am just desperate to find a good half sheet that is going to stay "flat" even at a higher temp in the oven.  I got the 17 x 12 inch cooling rack recommended by Cook's Illustrated and the Lincoln food service half sheet pan was a bust, so now I need a pan to go along with the rack.  If you have already tried this pan from Wal-Mart, I WANT ONE TOO!! 

10. sweetie pie

sweetie pie

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've been that route already. You won't find the Lincoln Ware recommended by CI anymore. Vollrath took over that company. I ordered, what I was told was the Lincoln pan from 3 different vendors.  One vendor swore Vollrath was a sister company and I would receive the Lincoln Ware. Well, I received the Vollrath and it was warped in the box! One of the vendors contacted Vollrath and was told they "ARE AWARE OF A WARPING PROBLEM". This was a few months ago so maybe it has been resolved. 

I have the original Lincoln Ware pan and wanted another but cannot get it anymore :(

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I know, right !?   The same thing happened to us.

My generous husband got down my CI issue with all the good stuff listed and ordered EVERYTHING for Christmas for me.   Same thing, the pans were not the Lincoln brand, but they insisted they were the same company.   Fortunately we got a refund, so now I am on a quest.  

I had to make Sunday Brunch which included bacon this week in my really old, beautiful heavy quarter sheet pans, times two instead of just one half sheet.

12. sweetie pie

sweetie pie

Exp:
    At home cook
    If you find Lincoln Ware, please let me know. I only have 1 Lincoln Ware and there is NO comparison.  I have one of the Vollrath because the company let me keep the warped one. The more I use it, the more one of the ends reaches for the ceiling and doesn't touch the counter. 

13. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I use about thirty (30) NordicWare half sheets regularly and have NEVER had one warp!

14. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Chef Peter McCracken,

Did you get your pans at a Restaurant Supply place?

What gauge are they?

And lastly, how hot have you used your pans at? (My home oven will get to 550 degrees, so just thinkin')

15. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Well Sweetie Pie,

I hope to get to the restauraunt supply store next week and take a look around, then my last resort will be to take suggestion given by chefedb and look for used pans.

I keep you up dated...

16. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    NordicWare was from COSTCO, but I have 20 or so from Smart & Final restaurant supply.

I've used them in both convection and conventional ovens to 425°F consistently and occasionally higher

17. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Chef Peter McCracken,

The pans from the restaurant supply are also NordicWare?

18. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not that I can see, they are "Made in the USA" but there is no label. BTW, they are slightly larger than the NordicWare, maybe 1/2" each way. Smart & Final does have a "store brand", Chef's Choice I believe, for a number of items of cookware.

Both have a "wire rim" which I'm certain minimizes warping.

BTW, the NordicWare (COSTCO) came with plastic snap-on lids, which I really find helpful.

19. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks ChefPeteMcCracken!

Dang, and you know I just made my bi-monthly trek to Costco this past Sunday (it's not all that close to our house).

20. amans54

amans54

Exp:
    Server
    There is a wide range of pans available in the market and you want a warp less half sheet pan.You can make your move towards the shop or place where these items were sold or you can go at some restaurant places because some of the restaurants are having this facility so that you can buy.Well before going to purchase keep some of the aspects in mind that is of gauge,heavier gauge makes a pan durable , and also look out for the size , i think there are two sizes available so you can check the best one according to your requirement.