I need a job opinion

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Hi all. I need opinions, (I think) as most of you know, I am retired from pro kitchens for health reasons. I have been working in Engineereing for the last 4 years. I don't mind sitting at a desk, but the building industry is subject to the whims and vagaries of the economy. I am the low man on the totem pole, so how secure my job is blows with the wind.
I am at a point in my life where I need to consider my future. I have an opportunity to apply for a job with the government job as a paper pusher.
Pros: Government bennies! Retirement etc. regular work hours, semi- recession proof.
Cons: Government paper pusher for the rest of my life (potentially)
That part is not as much the issue as is the particular job. Here is a brief description: Do I have a shot at the job? Who the **** knows! But does anyone have an opinion on government jobs like this, or the FSA (Shroomgirl?)
I appreciate all thoughts.

Joined Aug 15, 2004
I'm not sure how long "for the rest of my life" is for you. With that said, my first job, which was during summers while I went to college, was for a civil service job. It was totally boring. The people, that I saw when I looked around, seemed to me to be people willing to be bored for total job security. This was back in the late '60's, when there really wasn't much of a problem or concern about job security as I recall.

I currently work in medical device engineering, and it used to be fun, but now it is too beurocratic, basically a lot of paper pushing as you referred to.

On the other hand, the Farm Service Agency could be a chance to help farmer's, and maybe that wouldn't be so boring. Being originally from Iowa, I know how much help the little farmer's need today.

doc

Joined Aug 11, 2000
as with any buerocracy you will be at the whims of lifers who may or may not think, "it's just a job man". Is this federal? The national director is a putz....she is not into little farmers, so no warm and fuzzies coming off that.
Working with farmers is interesting, they have a totally different mindset than chefs. TOTALLY. There are a few good people in Mo Ag but the majority are hard line GMO guys, so Monsanto rules the day. Whatever you can live with, I forgo all kinds of jobs in exchange for flex time to work creatively in projects that help me sleep at night.....not a great one to ask about a desk job.

Top Bottom